Traffic around meadowhall 28/12/18

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Congestion is caused by lots of cars, many used when alternatives are readily available. I presume by transport planning, you mean the provision of joined-up public transport systems, not just more and more road building.

If people are not using the alternatives maybe they are not attractive to them. That shows a lack of planning. Transport does not need to be "joined up" this country  has a great many people who can cope with that, they cant cope with a system that is not fulfilling their needs.

Meadowhall has a railway station, a bus station and a tram stop ...that's pretty joined up Id say. The train takes all of 5 minutes from Sheffield station.  The tram takes about 15 minutes. 

7 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

Meadowhall has a railway station, a bus station and a tram stop ...that's pretty joined up Id say. The train takes all of 5 minutes from Sheffield station.  The tram takes about 15 minutes. 

Don't think many people live by Sheffield rail station and most Sheffield buses go to city centre nowhere near that station.

Many people take that tramline to MH, can be so busy you pay a fortune to be packed like cattle.

Few of those buses at MH connect with sheffield residential area it connects well with firth park and tinsley and from there they are used reasonably. Most other buses are wasting time at meadowhall on their way further out of sheffield.

8 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

That’s all well and good if you have a bus from where you live, or live near a train station or a tram stop. Many don’t. 

10 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

If people are not using the alternatives maybe they are not attractive to them. That shows a lack of planning. Transport does not need to be "joined up" this country  has a great many people who can cope with that, they cant cope with a system that is not fulfilling their needs.

I think people aren't using alternatives for a number of reasons. I'm one of those who can, and do, cope with our current transport systems.

I think others don't because it's not going to take them where they need to go, or they have too much stuff to carry.

Others don't use public transport because they put their own self-interest above the interests of the general population.  Meaning they would rather burn a bit of fuel, create a bit of pollution, than walk.

Others don't use public transport because they see it as beneath them.

45 minutes ago, Hook said:

That’s all well and good if you have a bus from where you live, or live near a train station or a tram stop. Many don’t. 

And many do, and still don't use it.

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I could get there on the tram, but it takes about 45 minutes.

I just avoid going at peak times and then it typically takes 20 minutes in the car, there's a boot for purchases to go into and I can call anywhere I like on the way there or back!

I could probably cycle to meadowhall as quickly as the tram could take me there.  Although I never have.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

I could get there on the tram, but it takes about 45 minutes.

I just avoid going at peak times and then it typically takes 20 minutes in the car, there's a boot for purchases to go into and I can call anywhere I like on the way there or back!

I could probably cycle to meadowhall as quickly as the tram could take me there.  Although I never have.

You don’t need a boot if you do all your shopping online 😉

If I want to have fun shopping I'll take a train to Leeds.

Guest busdriver1
13 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

Great if you live by a rail station, Tram Stop or bus stop for a service that goes there. I would have to walk 1/2 mile to get a bus there. One reason I have never been. I go shopping in Rotherham, its closer and I can get everything I want there with a minimum of fuss, can park free for 2 hours or if I am not getting much can get a bus there easily so why on earth would I want to go there? 

Edited by busdriver1

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I think people aren't using alternatives for a number of reasons. I'm one of those who can, and do, cope with our current transport systems.

I think others don't because it's not going to take them where they need to go, or they have too much stuff to carry.

Others don't use public transport because they put their own self-interest above the interests of the general population.  Meaning they would rather burn a bit of fuel, create a bit of pollution, than walk.

Others don't use public transport because they see it as beneath them.

And many do, and still don't use it.

I never go to meadowhall to go shopping, I just dont get it. Its a bunch of shops. There are plenty shops nearer than that to me and easier to get to. The only time I go there is to go straight out again by train. The thought of actually going in has never come on my radar.  A shop is a shop to me. 

Edited by busdriver1

Why would you go there if you can shop more locally.

You must be lucky though to have such a wide range of shops closer to you than Meadowhall, perhaps you live near the Trafford centre?

On 12/31/2018 at 11:40 AM, Hook said:

You don’t need a boot if you do all your shopping online 😉

It's a lot easier to try clothes on in the shop I find.  Yes, you can return them, but it's sometimes nice to flick through a rack of clothes and see what you like the look of, try it on and buy it (or not).

You are right its more fun to do it yourself in shop.

I know someone who is so busy and tired they order loads of clothes, shoes online, look at them at homy try them on and return 90%.  A friend picks up the stuff when in town and drops it back off at shop or it gets delivered at work and someone else brings it to post office later. 

Edited by dutch