Traffic around meadowhall 28/12/18

10 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Too many people using cars. You were one of them.

Yes but my journey was more important 😆

If it was mostly shoppers I can't believe how many people there are who want to spend money 3 days after Christmas!

6 hours ago, Hots on said:

Its not our fault that successive governments have built an infrastructure and a society around the individual use of the private car.

Lame.

There are many ways to get to Meadowhall by public transport, or by bicycle, or on foot.

We need to stop blaming others for our laziness.

1 minute ago, Colin Foster said:

If it was mostly shoppers I can't believe how many people there are who want to spend money 3 days after Christmas!

Me neither, but each to their own.

55 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah well, when your friendly local butchers shop is open at 8 p.m on a Tuesday evening or on a late weekend afternoon so I can pop in after work I might be tempted.  Until then I will stick to the butchery counter at m&s food hall.

Ever wondered why the car park is so full?  Ever wondered why there is always so much traffic on peak days?  Maybe, just maybe it's because the rest of the 'real' folk who live here, have joined the modern world and stopped harking back to those rose tinted days in the past. 

That land will be making more money to the economy now than it never would have done when it was a few scrap yards.

I think the crowds of vehicles speak for themselves as to it's success and popularity.

Be brave. Go try it out one day, go sit in the traffic queue,  go hunting for a parking space and absorb the retail bug.  You might suddenly decide you like it.

It sort of adds to the old corner shop scenario of 'Open All Hours'.
People need to stop living in the past.

On one thread you get complaints on the constant stream of chuggers in the city centre and the quality of shops and many charity shops.
And on another thread the complaints of how they wouldn't visit Meadowhall if it was the last place on Earth.
If the council or British Land had built a market hall around Meadowhall then things would be different.

54 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

It sort of adds to the old corner shop scenario of 'Open All Hours'.
People need to stop living in the past.

On one thread you get complaints on the constant stream of chuggers in the city centre and the quality of shops and many charity shops.
And on another thread the complaints of how they wouldn't visit Meadowhall if it was the last place on Earth.
If the council or British Land had built a market hall around Meadowhall then things would be different.

There was a market street in MHell when it first opened but slowly the shops closed and were taken over by what you see now.  Living in the past yes, i still recall with fondness the smell of roasting coffee coming from Pollards :)

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

Nah mate...

I buy my meat from a Butcher...Not many Butchers in Meadowhall ...

It's NOT ME who is warped mate.

Is that all you buy then?  Nothing else, no clothes, no sports goods, no medicines, no shoes or trainers, no phone, no camping equipment, no toys...

Just meat.  From the butchers.

1 hour ago, Colin Foster said:

I went to the cinema early yesterday, 1010 showing or something, and Mhell was fairly quiet when we arrived.

When we left there were wardens directing people to the overflow car parks and steady stream of people walking in from them.  It must be heading towards one of the busiest days of the year, you only see those overflow car parks used around xmas.

Personally didn't find the traffic bad at all. Probably added a extra 7 minutes to normal and we went around 4.45. Let's of things been said but we travelled at the said time and found no real issues so notsure what everyone was on about

People back at work... rush hour... just a normal day around that area to be honest.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:06 PM, Broakham said:

Rampant consumerism ?

The best type of consumerism 👍

Guest busdriver1
On 12/29/2018 at 1:37 PM, Hots on said:

Its not our fault that successive governments have built an infrastructure and a society around the individual use of the private car.

If that is the case they have failed massively. Congestion is an ever increasing problem caused by a FAILURE of transport planning.

49 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

If that is the case they have failed massively. Congestion is an ever increasing problem caused by a FAILURE of transport planning.

Congestion is caused by lots of cars, many used when alternatives are readily available. I presume by transport planning, you mean the provision of joined-up public transport systems, not just more and more road building.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Congestion is caused by lots of cars, many used when alternatives are readily available. I presume by transport planning, you mean the provision of joined-up public transport systems, not just more and more road building.

No offense but you by a car why would you want to use anything else when you have free parking, comfort and get stuck in the same amount of traffic as a bus 

Was there not something on at the Arena that evening? I seem to remember the illuminated signs saying so earlier in the day.