Insulting fellow posters.

I see a couple of posters on the forum who are faster than Lewis Hamilton at what I would call "denigrating" fellow posters. I can see no logic behind why they do this, other than to get a particular contentious post locked or removed maybe.

Any one have the same thoughts, or am I been paranoid.

Due to medical conditions and taking multiple tablets I cannot drink alcohol, so it's not down to that. 

Angel1.

1 minute ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I see a couple of posters on the forum who are faster than Lewis Hamilton at what I would call "denigrating" fellow posters. I can see no logic behind why they do this, other than to get a particular contentious post locked or removed maybe.

Due to medical conditions and taking multiple tablets I cannot drink alcohol, so it's not down to that. 

Angel1.

Some people have to feel validated, I'm guessing they just can't help themselves, maybe they feel they have a much more valuable contribution to make.

is it necessary NO is it helpful certainly Not, other than maybe to boost thier sense of self worth.

Lonely people at a guess, I feel sorry for them, they come across as bitter rather than educated. 

They are argumentative people who think their view or opinion is the ONLY correct one.

They nit pick at every little word and won't let go .... like a dog with a bone.

They must be the same in everyday life. 

In other words ......   not nice people.

When you see users posting ad hominem attacks (i.e. posting to insult a user rather than challenge their opinion) please use the report function to let the moderating team know about it because that really isn't positive for the forum, even if the users involved see no harm in it.

I have no issue at all with robust debate, but as soon as you stop disagreeing with someone and denigrating them instead then to me you have automatically lost the debate.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Thing is; we all have different backgrounds and life experiences, so it's perfectly normal and natural to have different perspectives on a topic, to other people. To my mind, debate is just sharing your own perspective, and listening to those of other's; and we should all have something to gain from that...

Or, is it a competition or game of who's right and who's wrong? Where we are trying to be the victor and 'win' the debate?

I never can tell. :o

There’s been a fundamental shift in online discourse.

People now seem emboldened to post whatever they like, often expressing views that will naturally provoke strong reactions.

Problem as I see it is people often don’t cope very with being challenged on what they post.

3 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

There’s been a fundamental shift in online discourse.

People now seem emboldened to post whatever they like, often expressing views that will naturally provoke strong reactions.

Problem as I see it is people often don’t cope very with being challenged on what they post.

I don't think people mind being challenged on what they post, but I do think they find personal comments/attacks as very offensive and provokative.

Remain civil. Attack the argument if you wish, but not the poster.

Name calling is never productive. 

Insulting is tool of the insecure and weak individual who cannot handle reasoned debate. On this forum i have had my heritage,, honesty and motives all brought into question in quite insulting ways just because I had a differing view. The majority of the insulting comes from a small section of the forum. Repeat offenders who can be easily ignored as their views usually cant be posted without them having the need to get insulting/.

No use the report function, let the mods sort them out.

I am happy to take the insults and attempts to destroy my character as this is only a forum and the perpetrator is just a nobody on the web. If they are sad enough to sit there and Google everything to make themselves appear to be superior to everyone else, then its possible they could be severely lonely or maybe enjoy some self sexual gratification out of it. It would be highly unfair to name the usual suspects, however im pretty sure the majority of posters know who they are. 

Whatever floats their boats, I suppose x