Hmv going into administration / Now saved

43 minutes ago, WasThatWise said:

Just announced HMV Meadowhall on list of closures

is there one still in town? looking at the list it seems to be cities where there would be more than one in a reasonable short distance? Like Middlesbrough only has one and thats not on the list.

i imagine also London, bristol, Manchester, Glasgow etc to have more than one?

Maybe the rent at the Meadowhall store made it untenable?

Considering this is the second time it's collapsed in recent memory you'd think a different approach is required.

Edited by geared

On 28/12/2018 at 06:37, iansheff said:

As the title says another big name going into administration.  The link below advises shoppers with vouchers or gift cards to get them spent as they may become worthless.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/hmv-shoppers-warned-spend-any-13785674

List of the stores likely to close, inc Meadowhall and High Street.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/full-list-hmv-stores-risk-13785534

The news in Canada today was that Sunrise Records, a Canadian company have saved HMV by taking over the whole company and over 100 stores in Britain will be saved, but over 20 will go. Sunrise already owned HMV Canada but now own the lot.

Edited by Ontarian1981

52 minutes ago, melthebell said:

is there one still in town? looking at the list it seems to be cities where there would be more than one in a reasonable short distance? Like Middlesbrough only has one and thats not on the list.

i imagine also London, bristol, Manchester, Glasgow etc to have more than one?

Yes there is - Fargate/High Street.

1 hour ago, WasThatWise said:

Just announced HMV Meadowhall on list of closures

If this is true then it’s a crying shame not everyone wants to down load stream or whatever you call it, yes you guessed it I’m off the age where I prefer to hear a Vinyl or CD off music off the fifties, sixty’s and seventies played in my home not two wire’s plugged into my ear’s from a flat piece of plastic in my pocket so HMV  was a shop to browse through read the blurb on the cover’s and select a past classic they are claiming that HMV has failed to adapt to a changing style of the way we listen to music they said this when Wilson Pecks in Sheffield closed and now there is a comeback of Vinyl there are three shop’s in Barnsley where you can buy original Vinyl LP’s where else on the high street can you buy CD’s apart from charity shops and redone CD’s from Pound Land there was so much more from HMV classical, Jazz, heavy metal, folk obscure trends of music that are not found easily on the net it’s commented that Doug Putman who owns Canada's Sunrise Records has made a bid also but alas HMV store in Sheffield’s Meadowhall has been named as one of the 27 that will not be bought out of administration along with  Manchester (Trafford Centre)  and Glasgow (Braehead) most likely because the rent is to high there's no doubt that online is a big part of overall retail sales but people, the older generation personally still like to come into a store, have an experience, talk with someone who understands music, loves music, If you think online is the only future I don't think that is the case this was the case with Audio Tapes but they still sell them.

Edited by MEC176

Just to let everyone know H.M.V. Meadowhall has reopened asked a staff member

how come and I was told it has been bought by a Canadian company and

it will stay open, don't know about the shop in Fargate.  : )