Being called sweetheart and petal.

mort

As you seem unable to remain civil the thread is closed and will remain so.   

Message added by mort

41 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You admitted to being called love and put up with it.  So terms of endearment are ok  or not ? 

When it suits in a public confrontation you choose to ignore it,thereby empowering men to continue with the same behaviour inperpituity.

54 minutes ago, Shafeeq said:

Wow. Wow.

I cannot believe how this little topic has lead to so many messages, and clearly, ironically, the intent behind childish slurs is not a positive one.  I only joined the forum yesterday.  Clearly I will need to be very selective how I spend my time.

Over and out on this topic, good people of Sheffield!

Stick with it for while Shafeeq. Eventually you will recognise who the self-righteous, virtue-signalling bandwagon jumpers are. Once they swoop down on a thread, that is the time to bale out and go do something more interesting like cleaning the cats litter tray.

I don't mind being called love or duck.  What I DO object too is people presuming to call me by my Christian name.  I will tell you when you can call me by my first name not before.  I have  told many about it  particularly when enquiring about something over the phone , 'kids' who are probably young enough to be my grandchildren.  They call it being friendly. I don't, it's disrespectful.   Before I retired, I worked in a professional office,  and would never have considered  to  call clients by their name name unless invited to do so.

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

What if someone says 'alright pretty tits'?

My man-boobs aren’t that good

Just read a thread on Losing Interest, People should read this thread. A  simple forum thread turns into a slagging match. I imaging the  OP wasn't expecting this. 

24 minutes ago, swede1973 said:

Just read a thread on Losing Interest, People should read this thread. A  simple forum thread turns into a slagging match. I imaging the  OP wasn't expecting this. 

I suspect she was. If she wasn't then it was maybe naive. Left wing, social justice warriors are like moths to a flame on threads like this.

I don't find it at all offensive, over familiar, derogatory or uncomfortable to be  called .....  love,  sweetheart,  duck,  etc.

What I don't like is being called Madam.   I find that term patronizing and I do ask the person not to call me it.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

If you can remember Charlie Williams one time Doncaster Rovers footballer and latterly turned Comedian had the catchphrase,   "me old flower" didn't see many complaints about it.

Nearer home, my late Mum had a stock reply to these kinds of sayings, or to hear someone swearing,  " it's better hearing such things than being deaf. " still sounds like good advice to me.

Angel1.

Yep, good ole Charlie,another one was "Mi owd luv" and he said it to millions...My wife also say's "bet they'd rather hear that than be deaf" if she hears anyone swearing.......this morning in Wilco/Clowne the lady at the checkout called me "sweetheart", in fact i get called it nearly everytime i go in....as a 70 year old man it just made me smile ...did/would i take offence...not on your nelly.....😄😄

As Rigsby would say "stop the world I want to get off. :hihi:.  What if someone called someone Babe would they think they were being called a pig.  :gag:

W H Smith have a code of conduct,  it's quite likely that if people were asked at an interview if they felt it ok to call customers 'sweetheart,luvvy, pet' etc. they would have said no - so if they believe it is ok then be frank or work where it's considered acceptable

4 hours ago, francypants said:

What I don't like is being called Madam.   I find that term patronizing and I do ask the person not to call me it.

Strange, isn't it?!

And yet, not that many years ago, I was ordered to do just that!

(See post #9)