Being called sweetheart and petal.

mort

As you seem unable to remain civil the thread is closed and will remain so.   

Message added by mort

Going back to the original story, I see it's quite straightforward. Chap in the store was trying to be polite, the OP was not.

3 minutes ago, Branyy said:

Going back to the original story, I see it's quite straightforward. Chap in the store was trying to be polite, the OP was not.

In what way are you claiming the OP was impolite?

On 12/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, redruby said:

A chap serving me in WHSmith at Meadowhall  managed to call me both ‘sweetheart’ and ‘petal’ when buying a few things in there the other day. Well maybe I am a miserable old cow but I found it pretty bleurfghh vomit inducing and sickly sweet patronising coming from a man younger than me.  Had I not been feeling pretty under the weather with a cold I think I might just have walked off and abandoned the stuff I was going to buy and told him where to stuff it. As it is it’s I ended up a bit annoyed and I’m not buying anything in there until the scars of this barf inducing experience have faded🤨. 

I have no objection to being called ‘luv’, that’s just friendly and northern but does anyone else think sweetheart and petal are just too much except from an older person or in a very traditional old fashioned shop.  

Scars?

Seriously?

I am offended at your sarcasm and the belittling of the emotional turmoil that people experience when called such a terrible word as 'petal'.

Being called "petal", "flower", "love" or "sausage" by a fellow man with no sexual overtones or derogatory reference is what makes Sheffield great.  

Don't mind if its coming from someone older but if it came from someone younger would feel somewhat condescending and/or overly chummy. Not quite sure why.

No big deal though.

They are just casual  friendly terms of endearment that can vary depending on the region. " Hen" is an example of one such term often said in Scotland, don't go there if it's going to offend you.

9 minutes ago, janie48 said:

They are just casual  friendly terms of endearment that can vary depending on the region. " Hen" is an example of one such term often said in Scotland, don't go there if it's going to offend you.

Similar with Northants/Beds area - a female of any age will be likely hear the term "gal"....

4 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Don't mind if its coming from someone older but if it came from someone younger would feel somewhat condescending and/or overly chummy. Not quite sure why.

No big deal though.

I have just turned 70 so anyone saying it to me will almost probably be younger and i don't mind at all,i've heard it said all my life ..I've been called a lot worse...😉😉

2 hours ago, janie48 said:

Well said.......and keep away from around Mansfield etc if you don't want to be called M'Duck by just about everyone.....😄

At least he was paying attention to you and not holding a conversation with another member of staff . I am sure he did not single you out and was just being friendly and chatty...better that than an ignorant gloomy silence.

1 hour ago, wornout53 said:

At least he was paying attention to you and not holding a conversation with another member of staff . I am sure he did not single you out and was just being friendly and chatty...better that than an ignorant gloomy silence.

A bit like telling a victim of a sexual assault that it's better than being ignored.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, Halibut said:

No, it's not being polite. It's over familiar and clearly made the OP uncomfortable. Being polite doesn't involve using terms of endearment such as 'petal' or 'sweetheart'.

Lets cut right to the chase and save a lot of time...are saying that this behaviour should be enforceably banned, bogging down an already stretched police force with yet more whimsical nonsense from the snowflake generation?

Edited by Hots on

51 minutes ago, Halibut said:

A bit like telling a victim of a sexual assault that it's better than being ignored.

So calling a bird " sweetheart " or "petal " is akin to sexual assault ?