Being called sweetheart and petal.

mort

As you seem unable to remain civil the thread is closed and will remain so.   

Message added by mort

12 hours ago, Eater Sundae said:

I will never be offended by someone being nice.

What if someone says 'alright pretty tits'?

I wouldn't be offended at all.  Although I do find it slightly amusing when a young person calls me similar things, when I am old enough to be their Mother!

20 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... I would praise them for their interest in ornithology and suggest that they make a donation to their local branch of the RSPB. :)

Guest makapaka
24 minutes ago, Halibut said:

That would be inappropriate given it’s sexual nature.

whats your point?

I think the best thing for people going forward is for those that are offended is to speak up there and then or refuse service by that staff member . None of these things will happen because the complainants are genuinely not offended and others  have no bottle to say or challenge anything in real life.

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

That would be inappropriate given it’s sexual nature.

whats your point?

My point is, it's subjective. What about the 15 year old girl being called 'sugar pants'? I think that's grossly sexualised language being used to a child.

You might not find the OP being called 'sweetheart' and 'petal' by a younger man patronising and cringeworthy, but she did and I do.

2 minutes ago, willman said:

I think the best thing for people going forward is for those that are offended is to speak up there and then or refuse service by that staff member . None of these things will happen because the complainants are genuinely not offended and others  have no bottle to say or challenge anything in real life.

How on earth can you know that? Are you calling the OP a liar?

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

My point is, it's subjective. What about the 15 year old girl being called 'sugar pants'? I think that's grossly sexualised language being used to a child.

You might not find the OP being called 'sweetheart' and 'petal' by a younger man patronising and cringeworthy, but she did and I do.

Selective with the truth ,surprisingly being called love was acceptable,so they weren't really offended by terms of endearment at all.

Do you walk out of a shop or bring it to anyones attention in the queue? 

A woman at work calls me duck. Does it bother me no. I call women love have done for years.

Guest makapaka
5 minutes ago, Halibut said:

It’s not subjective to understand the difference in connotation and intent behind calling someone petal  or calling someone “sugar-tits”.

if you can’t understand that then it’s pretty much impossible to hold a sensible discussion with you.

5 minutes ago, willman said:

Selective with the truth ,surprisingly being called love was acceptable,so they weren't really offended by terms of endearment at all.

Do you walk out of a shop or bring it to anyones attention in the queue? 

What an outstandingly arrogant and ignorant response. 

Edited by Halibut

5 minutes ago, Halibut said:

What an outstandingly arrogant and ignorant response. 

Do you complain and walk out or do you nothing at all? Simple question. 

Do you accept terms of endearment from shop assistants or not -its not a trick question. If you do nothing except complain on a "closed" forum  then you are part of the problem not the solution.

Just like the OP i have no issue with being called love- its just happened in McD's ,therefore i would be a hypocrite and liar to say that i'm offended by terms of endearment in the same breath.

Edited by willman

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It’s not subjective to understand the difference in connotation and intent behind calling someone petal  or calling someone “sugar-tits”.

Of course it is you dimwit. Look it up a dictionary. The impact of being referred to by terms of endearment such as sweetheart, darling, love or sugar tits is entirely dependent on who they are made to. It's entirely subjective.