Advise me, considering win7  over win10 for next desktop.

Correct or not, I understand that win7 is the better system of the two. I don't don't need the latest "gadget" for what I do, and I hang on to stuff for years?

Win 10 is superior in every way. Quicker, more stable and with better features.

There is no point in having Windows 7 because it only has one year of support left. End of life is 14th January 2020. Windows 10 is more secure. It can be set up in a very similar way to W7 so you shouldn’t have any problems with it.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Correct or not, I understand that win7 is the better system of the two. I don't don't need the latest "gadget" for what I do, and I hang on to stuff for years?

It is interesting that you are considering Windows 7 for your next desktop, as I think it is hard to buy Win 7 nowadays (unless you are looking at the second hand market).  I moved from Win 7 to Win 10 years ago and never looked back. Just forget Win 7 as others have also advised.

The consensus of opinion thus far here is win10, so I will go with that.

Shafeeq

I fully understand what you have explained. If I mention that I am still running xp (and only just managing to do that) you will see where I was coming from, and yes the win7 would have been 2nd hand.

I will look for a quiet running win 10. Shukria.

Edited by Janus

You are still running XP? you are a crazy man...

10 is better than 7, especially on new(er) hardware.. 

new(er) hardware (7th Gen Intel or newer, Ryzen 2nd Gen etc) are not officially supported on Windows 7 either..

(additional 'CPU features and extensions, like AVX2 or FMA3 etc are not supported on older versions of windows)

Ignoring everything else any way, even from a security and 'resources' perspective 10 is better...

I can't stand Windows 10. I just bought an OEM Windows 7 64 bit for my Ryzen (first gen) processor. After 155 updates it states it cannot download any more updates and that my processor was not built for Windows 7. I am still using Windows 7 for my Serif software. With all the glitches that I have heard elsewhere, and issues at work I'm putting off Windows 10 as much as possible. I have used the Windows 10 preview but now that I am on a new rig, that is no longer valid! Hey Ho. When push comes to shove I'll be running Windows 7 x64 in side VB on the next release of Zorin, due out in January.

14 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

I can't stand Windows 10. I just bought an OEM Windows 7 64 bit for my Ryzen (first gen) processor. After 155 updates it states it cannot download any more updates and that my processor was not built for Windows 7. I am still using Windows 7 for my Serif software. With all the glitches that I have heard elsewhere, and issues at work I'm putting off Windows 10 as much as possible. I have used the Windows 10 preview but now that I am on a new rig, that is no longer valid! Hey Ho. When push comes to shove I'll be running Windows 7 x64 in side VB on the next release of Zorin, due out in January.

I honestly dont know what your problem with 10 is..

on EVERY machine I have put it on (even an old Pentium Dual Core, with 2GB DDR2 Ram) It has performed better and smoother than 7 did on any of the systems.. Faster, lighter, more compatible! :)

Ghozer,

Can you sort me out with a decent spec machin?

27 minutes ago, Janus said:

Ghozer,

Can you sort me out with a decent spec machin?

I don't have anything spare atm, I sold everything I had in the last year or so cause I was too poor...

But, drop me a message with ur budget, what sorta thing you want, and weather or not you care about used parts etc, and we'll have a chat and sort sommat out  if you like :)

18 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Windows 7 for my Serif software.

Hahaha :D You want to stop using Serif software for a start. Pay them money for all these products that are a big pile of poop. My dad used to use a few of their products until I convinced him to try something else.

I also don't understand any issues with Win 10. You say issues you've heard about....where exactly? Links?

As for XP,  you're insane if you connect that anywhere onto the internet. Was it dude111 that insisted he was way more secure and better than everyone else by running IE6 on Win XP?

Me and Dude are the only 2 people running xp. He may feel a little  betayed when he reads about my intentions.

Ghozer, thank you for your offer to help me. I was hoping to just buy a decent spec win 10 desk top straight away.

I know most stuff is going to be better than what I have now, but I do keep things a long time, hence a desire to get it right. (The xp was "right" when I bought it new only 12 years ago).   🙂

If anyone has a good spec win10 machine just pm details  what you have.  

Thanks.