Woodseats History

Thanks hillbro, great memories.

2 hours ago, Billam said:

Thanks hillbro, great memories.

Glad this is of interest (I forgot to mention that the link to the scan I previously posted doesn't seem to work now; I thought people joining the thread might like to see it). Here is a scan from 15 years later; the 1974 Kelly's Directory. https://i.postimg.cc/jdDvwXzr/02.jpg

My mother ran bingo night's for Beauchief Boy Scouts in the late 1950's it was held above the Co.op on Chesterfield Rd Woodseats, they were very well attended and a good fundraiser for the Scout Group. The late footballers Tommy Hoyland and Graham Shaw were regulars. Mr Burley ran the sessions with my mother.

7 minutes ago, Beauchiefs said:

My mother ran bingo night's for Beauchief Boy Scouts in the late 1950's it was held above the Co.op on Chesterfield Rd Woodseats, they were very well attended and a good fundraiser for the Scout Group. The late footballers Tommy Hoyland and Graham Shaw were regulars. Mr Burley ran the sessions with my mother.

Think  Tommy Hoylands still around!

17 hours ago, LLAN said:

Think  Tommy Hoylands still around!

Sorry my error, not seen him for such a long time, he and Graham were great friends.

I worked for the company who were sited at No. 40 ..Hallamshire Heating , remember some really nice people who lived adjacent, the noise generated was quite severe sometimes but I don’t remember anyone complaining ! 

I used to live at number 48 ; my ex  wife still lives there and I do remember Hallamshire heating . A lot has changed there since I left nearly 20  years ago.

I remember a lady who lived directly opposite, she sometimes did some cleaning and generally looked after the premises, I think her name was Dora, a really nice lady.

I worked at T C Harrison, sometimes when walking past Hallamshire Heating a tall gentleman with a moustache gave me a lift, he had a bronze coloured mk 3 Cortina, I think he was one of the bosses, he would be taking the car for a service. A lot has changed but when I go back there are still reminders of my youth

When I started at the Company the founder had semi  retired ( Colin Robbins) . Running of the company had been handed to 2 of his sons, Tony and Mike Robbins. Family owned and run company and the best I ever worked at .

Any photos of Olive t Road? I used to live there if you stood at the top there was a brilliant view of the Derbyshire moors. Also awesome to sledge down.

Hello,

I am new to Sheffield and buying a house off Woodseats road. I'd be interested if anyone has any knowledge about when all these houses were built, who built them, and also anything about the Brick Works on Chesterfield Road. I know a man called Joseph Enock may have been responsible for building these houses. I'd be fascinated to hear why the Lake District Connection of the street names. 

Smithy Wood Crescent seems to have been called White House Crescent also.. why?! I am starting to investigate, but if anyone already knows, I'd be fascinated to hear.

Thanks,

Ruth