Woodseats History

Hello Ruth, welcome to Woodseats!

Yes, Joseph Enock built most of the houses on and around Woodseats Road, as well as the row at Lowedges (now a dual carriageway). He also built several cinemas (picture palaces then...) in Sheffield. He was born in Birmingham in 1863, and subsequently moved to Sheffield. Your house was probably built around 1905/10. And he did have an interest in the brickworks on Chesterfield Road, which we knew as Woodbank. It fell into disuse after WW2, and the site was acquired by the Ponsford furniture business. 

Joe died at his home, Belmont on Scarsdale Road, in December 1953.  I am his great grandson. 

One of my school mate's lived in the row of houses at Lowedges!  There was a Miss Enock living at the first house in the row, we used to scrump apples from her back garden in the 50s.

On 12/08/2020 at 10:34, Ruth ND said:

Hello,

I am new to Sheffield and buying a house off Woodseats road. I'd be interested if anyone has any knowledge about when all these houses were built, who built them, and also anything about the Brick Works on Chesterfield Road. I know a man called Joseph Enock may have been responsible for building these houses. I'd be fascinated to hear why the Lake District Connection of the street names. 

Smithy Wood Crescent seems to have been called White House Crescent also.. why?! I am starting to investigate, but if anyone already knows, I'd be fascinated to hear.

Thanks,

Ruth

Whitehouse was located in what is now the Dunelm Mills car park on Chesterfield road according to this map Whitehouse, there are a few areas of Sheffield with street names associated with various themes, the history to which I'm not sure, if you venture to the Sheffield History forum which I believe is run by someone who posts Sheffield videos on this forum, someone will probably have the answer.

Edited by Michael_W

Added: Joe Enock also owned a smaller brickworks actually on Woodseats Road (towards the top on the left),  I guess the material for most of the houses he built came from that source.  My father told me that he eventually closed it and transferred the production to the larger business at Woodbank/Woodside. 

Must have been a dusty part of town in those days!  I am sure a historical society will have all this written down somewhere.....

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies! Im absolutely loving researching this area. How amazing to know who built your house! Im going to keep exploring. And check out the sheffield history forum! 

On 13/08/2020 at 08:40, Cyclecar said:

Hello Ruth, welcome to Woodseats!

Yes, Joseph Enock built most of the houses on and around Woodseats Road, as well as the row at Lowedges (now a dual carriageway). He also built several cinemas (picture palaces then...) in Sheffield. He was born in Birmingham in 1863, and subsequently moved to Sheffield. Your house was probably built around 1905/10. And he did have an interest in the brickworks on Chesterfield Road, which we knew as Woodbank. It fell into disuse after WW2, and the site was acquired by the Ponsford furniture business. 

Joe died at his home, Belmont on Scarsdale Road, in December 1953.  I am his great grandson. 

Would I be able to message you? I'd be really interested to know more about your grandad if you would be happy to share :)

With regards to the Lakes named roads, your not far from the Dale named roads and the Glen named roads in S7, there is also the flower estate in S5, as other examples of clustered themed street names in Sheffield. I suppose the naming of roads in certain areas was the responsibility of the council.

Edited by Michael_W

The Frecheville estate has roads named after Derbyshire villagers, Youlgreave, Thornbridge, Longstone, Alport, Hayfield, Hopedale to name a few.

3 hours ago, Michael_W said:

With regards to the Lakes named roads, your not far from the Dale named roads and the Glen named roads in S7, there is also the flower estate in S5, as other examples of clustered themed street names in Sheffield. I suppose the naming of roads in certain areas was the responsibility of the council.

I suppose so! Thanks Michael