Jump to content

Loosing interest

Recommended Posts

Just now, Groose said:

POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED.
Click 'Report post' or contact us for any content that may breach our terms of use.

 

For us to know something is happening, it has to be reported.

Yes yes, I understand that. Much clearer now it is in capitals.

 

I am talking about within threads that have been reported - some posters seem to enjoy immunity, while others are blocked, banned or have their posts deleted. 

 

I am not complaining that the forum is not actively monitored. However, it is censored by sentient humans.

 

I've had posts deleted for various reasons over the years that I don't feel are fair - none I think for insulting anyone, but for other issues. One recently was for formatting, even though my quote was from another poster who had made the error, not me. Only my post was removed. I didn't report it, nor do I wish to, but a sentient human who actively deleted should be capable of spending an additional few minutes looking at the context/circumstances.

 

Anyway, this is not designed to be a gripe about the moderation of the forum. It was simply stating that I never understood it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People don't like change, from a personal point the new format is fantastic as it's mobile friendly. The hardcore posters that close topics down is a problem but not surprising as we all know and avoid people like that in real life, as they tend not to be very nice people.

I would say the forums pretty active and the majority are nice people. The age group might start lowering as most younger people to middle aged will access this via mobile phone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Groose said:

POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED.
Click 'Report post' or contact us for any content that may breach our terms of use.

 

For us to know something is happening, it has to be reported.

Hmmm... :huh:


... well maybe that's contributing to the problem?

 

I'm not daring to criticise moderation of the site either, (because we all know the consequences of that one)...

 

BUT... you're saying "For us to know something is happening, it has to be reported."

 

Now that clearly isn't true, as (like yourself on this thread) mods post in their 'unofficial capacity' as normal members. So they obviously read threads and know what is happening.

 

If, as I suspect, you mean that you can't do anything about it until it's reported, then that's understandable and is a different matter and could be the problem.

 

I'll explain why...

 

... people who have 'agendas' are obviously the more determined posters to get their points across, often repeating the same point and 'appearing' on the same type of threads time after time.

 

These are the posters that will make every effort to get other posts removed, and (I'm guessing) would 'report' posts for any little thing that doesn't fit in with their 'message'.

 

I'm sure the forum can identify these posters from the number of 'reports' they make.

 

The rest of us 'normal' posters don't repeat the same thing over and over. We just make our point and leave it at that. What's the point in arguing with an anonymous person on the internet? It doesn't matter to us what anyone else thinks if we don't have an 'agenda'.

 

And because most of us 'normal' posters don't really care if other people agree with us or not, we certainly don't go about trying to suppress their thinking... and I suspect that's why we also can't be bothered to 'report' their posts.

 

We become bored with the same old posters churning out the same old rubbish and respond in our own way by visiting the forum less often...


... but no-one listens to me anyway. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:


... well maybe that's contributing to the problem?

 

I'm not daring to criticise moderation of the site either, (because we all know the consequences of that one)...

 

BUT... you're saying "For us to know something is happening, it has to be reported."

 

Now that clearly isn't true, as (like yourself on this thread) mods post in their 'unofficial capacity' as normal members. So they obviously read threads and know what is happening.

 

If, as I suspect, you mean that you can't do anything about it until it's reported, then that's understandable and is a different matter and could be the problem.

 

I'll explain why...

 

... people who have 'agendas' are obviously the more determined posters to get their points across, often repeating the same point and 'appearing' on the same type of threads time after time.

 

These are the posters that will make every effort to get other posts removed, and (I'm guessing) would 'report' posts for any little thing that doesn't fit in with their 'message'.

 

I'm sure the forum can identify these posters from the number of 'reports' they make.

 

The rest of us 'normal' posters don't repeat the same thing over and over. We just make our point and leave it at that. What's the point in arguing with an anonymous person on the internet? It doesn't matter to us what anyone else thinks if we don't have an 'agenda'.

 

And because most of us 'normal' posters don't really care if other people agree with us or not, we certainly don't go about trying to suppress their thinking... and I suspect that's why we also can't be bothered to 'report' their posts.

 

We become bored with the same old posters churning out the same old rubbish and respond in our own way by visiting the forum less often...


... but no-one listens to me anyway. :(

Well I am listening to you and you have hit the nail on the head.People who are obsessed with a topic will take offence at the slightest post that has the cheek to disagree with their view on things so they report it.That leaves you scratching your head wondering what you have said for such a reaction.People nowadays can not take criticism with out being offended.What ever happened to free speech we USED to enjoy and take for granted.It has got to such a state now that even if your posts are true and honest and meant with out malice you can not post it.It is not just true on this site but most sites which is a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, petcharlie said:

Well I am listening to you and you have hit the nail on the head.People who are obsessed with a topic will take offence at the slightest post that has the cheek to disagree with their view on things so they report it.That leaves you scratching your head wondering what you have said for such a reaction.People nowadays can not take criticism with out being offended.What ever happened to free speech we USED to enjoy and take for granted.It has got to such a state now that even if your posts are true and honest and meant with out malice you can not post it.It is not just true on this site but most sites which is a shame.

Its not just that, the arrival of The Ten will seal a threads fate,

8 hours ago, petcharlie said:

Well I am listening to you and you have hit the nail on the head.People who are obsessed with a topic will take offence at the slightest post that has the cheek to disagree with their view on things so they report it.That leaves you scratching your head wondering what you have said for such a reaction.People nowadays can not take criticism with out being offended.What ever happened to free speech we USED to enjoy and take for granted.It has got to such a state now that even if your posts are true and honest and meant with out malice you can not post it.It is not just true on this site but most sites which is a shame.

Its not just that, the arrival of The Ten will seal a threads fate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:


... well maybe that's contributing to the problem?

 

I'm not daring to criticise moderation of the site either, (because we all know the consequences of that one)...

 

BUT... you're saying "For us to know something is happening, it has to be reported."

 

Now that clearly isn't true, as (like yourself on this thread) mods post in their 'unofficial capacity' as normal members. So they obviously read threads and know what is happening.

 

If, as I suspect, you mean that you can't do anything about it until it's reported, then that's understandable and is a different matter and could be the problem.

 

I'll explain why...

 

... people who have 'agendas' are obviously the more determined posters to get their points across, often repeating the same point and 'appearing' on the same type of threads time after time.

 

These are the posters that will make every effort to get other posts removed, and (I'm guessing) would 'report' posts for any little thing that doesn't fit in with their 'message'.

 

I'm sure the forum can identify these posters from the number of 'reports' they make.

 

The rest of us 'normal' posters don't repeat the same thing over and over. We just make our point and leave it at that. What's the point in arguing with an anonymous person on the internet? It doesn't matter to us what anyone else thinks if we don't have an 'agenda'.

 

And because most of us 'normal' posters don't really care if other people agree with us or not, we certainly don't go about trying to suppress their thinking... and I suspect that's why we also can't be bothered to 'report' their posts.

 

We become bored with the same old posters churning out the same old rubbish and respond in our own way by visiting the forum less often...


... but no-one listens to me anyway. :(

I think you are spot on there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 12:00 PM, Mr Bloke said:

The rest of us 'normal' posters don't repeat the same thing over and over. We just make our point and leave it at that. What's the point in arguing with an anonymous person on the internet? It doesn't matter to us what anyone else thinks if we don't have an 'agenda'.

 

And because most of us 'normal' posters don't really care if other people agree with us or not, we certainly don't go about trying to suppress their thinking... and I suspect that's why we also can't be bothered to 'report' their posts.

 

We become bored with the same old posters churning out the same old rubbish and respond in our own way by visiting the forum less often...


... but no-one listens to me anyway. :(

It can't hurt for us normal posters to use the report post button more often though?

 

That way, we all contribute towards cultivating a nice environment fit for sensible debate; rather than leaving everything to the mods. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Waldo said:

It can't hurt for us normal posters to use the report post button more often though?

 

That way, we all contribute towards cultivating a nice environment fit for sensible debate; rather than leaving everything to the mods. :)

 

 

Ok once again,  the boy and girls thread went off topic and degenerated into the now familiar Brexit and Trump posters who can't seem to let go of their agendas whatever is being discussed, throw in a few digs at each other's  abilities of understanding and comprehension and another thread gets closed.

 

so that thread is closed, due to same old posters, those same old posters are left to carry on shutting threads down.

 

well done SF  that's really showed them, as it happens I reported that thread for going off topic, was it worth it?  

Maybe the Mega political threads could be moved elsewhere, somewhere just for the sites elite political posters, can you not give them their very own Thunder Dome, playpen.

They could slag-each other away from the general population and then pretty much let them get on with it.

 

 

Edited by steve68
Smellings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, steve68 said:

Ok once again,  the boy and girls thread went off topic and degenerated into the now familiar Brexit and Trump posters who can't seem to let go of their agendas whatever is being discussed, throw in a few digs at each other's  abilities of understanding and comprehension and another thread gets closed.

 

so that thread is closed, due to same old posters, those same old posters are left to carry on shutting threads down.

 

well done SF  that's really showed them, as it happens I reported that thread for going off topic, was it worth it?  

Maybe the Mega political threads could be moved elsewhere, somewhere just for the sites elite political posters, can you not give them their very own Thunder Dome, playpen.

They could slag-each other away from the general population and then pretty much let them get on with it.

 

 

The Ten have become a convenient tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.