Loosing interest

Just a thought, but maybe if all the people complaining that theres nothing interesting started threads about something interesting it might make a difference? 😉

Edited by nikki-red

25 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Just a thought, but maybe if all the people complaining that theres nothing interesting started threads about something interesting it might make a difference? 😉

Hmmm... :huh:

... it's an interesting thought.

And maybe if all the people complaining that there's no 'fun threads' anymore could start 'fun threads' without the danger of their best efforts being deleted or even worse, confined to Room 101 (aka I'm Bored) it might also make a difference... :roll:

11 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

... it's an interesting thought.

And maybe if all the people complaining that there's no 'fun threads' anymore could start 'fun threads' without the danger of their best efforts being deleted or even worse, confined to Room 101 (aka I'm Bored) it might also make a difference... :roll:

That's generally the correct place for a "fun thread" though.  Why would you want it to be in the incorrect section.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

That's generally the correct place for a "fun thread" though.  Why would you want it to be in the incorrect section.

... well that's obviously open to opinion.

The section is called "I'm Bored".

By that logic, all the Brexit/Political threads that regurgitate the same old rubbish from the same old posters ad infinitum could also easily qualify for a position in the forum's very own black hole... :rant:

Disclaimer: The term "black hole" is used here in it's informal meaning of "a place where items disappear without trace" and is no way meant to offend any sugarcubes snowflakes.

They're "general interest" threads obviously.

Any thread without a real topic or that only exists to entertain shouldn't be in a section dedicated to general interest or sheffield should it.

I suppose it's all only opinion, but it's the opinion of the people that run the site.  It seems logical to me though.

35 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

They're "general interest" threads obviously.

Any thread without a real topic or that only exists to entertain shouldn't be in a section dedicated to general interest or sheffield should it.

I suppose it's all only opinion, but it's the opinion of the people that run the site.  It seems logical to me though.

... well yes, I suppose so.

But the point being made was that people are losing interest in the forum, and I suggested that one reason was because the forum no longer had any 'fun threads'.

Why would anyone start a 'fun thread' knowing it would be immediately sent to the 'black hole' where no-one could find it and join in?

Maybe we need another section for the 'lighter' threads, or maybe we do away with the inane "The last person to post on this thread wins" type threads. That particular thread is up to part 9 now! What is wrong with these people???

Genuinely funny and well thought out threads, where the poster has put a lot of time and effort into it (and I'm sure we all know and miss the posters who were capable of such work), are soon smothered in the cesspit of "I'm Bored" which has become a glorified chatroom of one-word replies.

I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me or else something would have been done about it by now - it's just my opinion, and like you say, if it's not an opinion that's shared by the people that run the site then it means absolutely nothing... :(

I use the "view new posts" option, so that would include threads in the "I'm bored" section.  I rarely browse directly by section.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:11 AM, *Wallace* said:

It’s gone down hill over a long period of time but the new forum format doesn’t seem user friendly and people just can’t be bothered with it,a dedicated new posts button would help with me until then it’s a quick look when I’m bored with the rest of the net.

Pretty much sums it up !!

I think ive only posted once since the so called update .

On 12/26/2018 at 10:04 PM, steve68 said:

Often I refrain from making a contribution, especially  when it could be wasted energy as far  to many deleted and locked threads.......it would be far better to Ban the users that continually drag them down.

^this^

I feel the same, often I just don't bother posting stuff, because of the number of times innocent posts of mine have been deleted, often these are posts which quote or respond to other posts which aren't so innocent.

Most of my interaction used to coincide with the use of the classifieds, general and technical....since classifieds doesn't exist i guess SF has lost a lot of followers to other sites. Its a good job the new transition from old to new SF didn't take as long as the so called sluggish  "temporary" transition with classifieds as SF wouldn't exist.  Maybe "Temporarily" should be replaced with "Indefinitely". All seems a bit shambolic to me.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:11 PM, *Wallace* said:

It’s gone down hill over a long period of time but the new forum format doesn’t seem user friendly and people just can’t be bothered with it

Think Wallace is correct here. It has been slowly declining, and the new format hasn't helped.

Now that I've worked out how to find new posts, I can browse the Forum as I usually do (as Cyclone mentioned).  I don't find the new format bad, but it does seem to have coincided with fewer readable threads.  Of course, what is 'readable' is totally up to individuals, but I don't enjoy 'the last person to post' style threads. Hopefully after Christmas it picks up.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the X hundred or so pages on the Brexit thread though - found it very informative.  

I still don't understand the vagueness of the enforcement of rules e.g. certain posters seem to be able to insult others without any consequences while others are shut down and deleted immediately.  But this isn't anything new, it's been something I've struggled to work out since the very start. 

There also seem to be more posts/posters with specific agendas.  Of course, previously everyone had their own opinions and political ideologies etc., but it seems that the number of people with more extreme viewpoints, or those who are willing to provide alternate facts/lies and/or ignore obvious counterarguments have increased.  Perhaps this is more symptomatic of the wider global society that we live in today, where discussions can be shouted down and perspectives ignored. 

14 minutes ago, Eddie_shef said:

I still don't understand the vagueness of the enforcement of rules e.g. certain posters seem to be able to insult others without any consequences while others are shut down and deleted immediately.  But this isn't anything new, it's been something I've struggled to work out since the very start

POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED.
Click 'Report post' or contact us for any content that may breach our terms of use.

For us to know something is happening, it has to be reported.