Japan ignores world opinion on whaling .

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Ok, I’ll bite.  What compromise would you offer? Can’t hunt whales but can be mean to a dolphin? You can throw a rock at a porpoise but only in march?

Agree a level of hunting that all sides agree will not risk the elimination of each species.  In the current situation Iceland, Norway and Japan are free to hunt a species to extinction if they so choose, simply because they are not signed up to anything.

1 hour ago, Eater Sundae said:

Agree a level of hunting that all sides agree will not risk the elimination of each species.  In the current situation Iceland, Norway and Japan are free to hunt a species to extinction if they so choose, simply because they are not signed up to anything.

They aren’t though. They’re hunting whales where the numbers are relatively high like minkie whales.

Dont get me wrong, it’s a barbaric practice that could do with banning, and the ban actually applying. They’re giving themselves a bit of room by targeting safe species but you can’t give them compromises. It’s not an area you can compromise with in my opinion.

I am surprised at the people on this thread who it seems have no problem with these rogue Nations hunting these declining species . There is no defence for it .

1 hour ago, Albert smith said:

I am surprised at the people on this thread who it seems have no problem with these rogue Nations hunting these declining species . There is no defence for it .

There are hundreds of species of animals that are endangered and in decline, from tigers, rhinos to fish, I am now aware of any laws that make the killing of tigers etc illegal.

Is ivory the only thing that is illegal to trade, tiger skins?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6425595/UK-trophy-hunters-killed-HUNDREDS-elephants-shipped-700-tusks-back.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endangered_species

57 minutes ago, El Cid said:

There are hundreds of species of animals that are endangered and in decline, from tigers, rhinos to fish, I am now aware of any laws that make the killing of tigers etc illegal.

Is ivory the only thing that is illegal to trade, tiger skins?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6425595/UK-trophy-hunters-killed-HUNDREDS-elephants-shipped-700-tusks-back.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endangered_species

As I have pointed out in an earlier post.

15 hours ago, petemcewan said:

We can do something by supporting this organisation

https://uk.whales.org/wdc-in-action/stop-whaling-1

Angelfire 1 .Thanks for the beautiful video.

Thank you for that. I have to admit that the song and a couple of the pictures really make you wonder how long the Whale as a species will survive.

Angel1.

Angelfire1,

I've been close up to these creatures. When sailing back from Svalbard three humpbacks surfaced around the boat. The three of us sailing the boat where speechless. The whales stayed with us for 15minutes.

For me, there is no halfway measure on hunting them. It's just plain wrong. They then sounded and I saw the fin disappear beneath the waves-just like in the video.

Edited by petemcewan

4 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Thank you for that. I have to admit that the song and a couple of the pictures really make you wonder how long the Whale as a species will survive.

Angel1.

There are a few dozen species of whale, not all of which are endangered.

Spent a bit of today reading up on the justifications for hunting, and they are paper thin

7 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Angelfire1,

I've been close up to these creatures. When sailing back from Svalbard three humpbacks surfaced around the boat. The three of us sailing the boat where speechless. The whales stayed with us for 15minutes.

For me, there is no halfway measure on hunting them. It's just plain wrong. They then sounded and I saw the fin disappear beneath the waves-just like in the video.

No doubt in my tiny mind, that 15 minutes will never be forgotten in your lifetime. What an experience it must have been.

Angel1.

4 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

There are a few dozen species of whale, not all of which are endangered.

Spent a bit of today reading up on the justifications for hunting, and they are paper thin

Yes there are many species of Whale's, but here is my question, when the endangered species are finally eradicated from the seas, do you think the Whaling nations will just pack the hunting in, or will they turn their harpoon guns on another of the species. My best guess would be the latter. What say you.

Angel1. 

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Yes there are many species of Whale's, but here is my question, when the endangered species are finally eradicated from the seas, do you think the Whaling nations will just pack the hunting in, or will they turn their harpoon guns on another of the species. My best guess would be the latter. What say you.

Angel1. 

Apparently the harpoon explodes inside the whales just so as to cause as much agony as possible . Japan should be ashamed.