Dixons paper mill oughtibridge

Went to welding class with a fitter fro there think was the old Izal factory then. Can’t remember names but Lou or someone Morris rings a bell 

Mick  even though I don't remember you you must know Cliff  James and lots more of the old gang. Frank Wordsworth was the Mech engineer , Rod pettifer in the drawing office. Ray  Austin used to look after the Effluent plant.Peter Stephenson looked after thE boiler and turbine.  I keep on bumpiNg into Dave the machine man off no 1 m/c (don't remember his second name) Howard guest was the manager. Mick who was the foreman in the reeler was a character really liked him. Ronnie Robinson used to work on the roll grinder. Will try to remember other characters but will not bore you any more. Good to hear from you .

yes I know Cliff James he was a shift super when I started, Rod Pettifer Ray Austin,, Keith Crookes Mick Turner, Tony Turner

Pete Stephenson 

Dave Revit No 1 machine man, Howard Guest,

Mick Garvey reelers, Pete Pleasants, Eric Rowlands, Chris Bownes, Eddy Smith

Roger Crofts

I must put a EWR in

Edited by MICK BADGER

Mick , remembered a few more but still can't place you.(sorry)Cliff took my job when I Retired and was shocked a few years later when I rang him and he was working at foxes.?  A shift  Bob Horsfield . B shift Barry Clarke. G Roberts . C shift P Pleasants. S Lloyd . Can't remember who was on D shift.  Dave Audis worked on the blade grinder. Chris Bownes was in charge of a shift but can't remember which . It's all coming back but very slowly. Eric , Eddy, andRoger were very good pals. Cheers.

Tbt and Mick Badger, do either of you remember the Parkers lorries that used to load the huge paper rolls and deliver them all over the country.

Funnily enough my father used to drive for Parkers and I often went with him when I was off school.

As a boy, I’ve spent ages in the loading bay at Dixons sat in my Dad’s lorry cab waiting for it to be loaded and then we’d often take a full load to Liverpool docks in the late fifties and early sixties. Another regular trip was to a place called Garstang in Lancashire.

I think that Parkers Transport must have had a contract for many years to collect and deliver the huge paper rolls made at Peter Dixons Oughtibridge.

I seem to remember that the toilet rolls brand were called ‘ Dixcel’. Would this be right.?

Tbt, yet again we have a common interest in a thread. - I lived at 40 Bullen Road Foxhill and we have recently corresponded in the Meynell Road School thread. My Dad would sometimes park his lorry outside our house during the fifties and early sixties. As a near neighbour, you might remember this.

Jgill506. I can't remember seeing Parkers lorries but remember lots of  Gloystarnes lorries . A driver I bumped into before I left driving an Hgv was Billy Dawes who lived at 8 bullen road . The reason the lorries went to Garstang is they used to have a mill there but at our time it would probably be a warehouse. Yes Dixcel Kittensoft. I can't believe the number of people at work and school who know me and I can't place them.Got to be losing it.  See ya.