Saturday afternoon matinee pictures..

We used to go to the matinee at The Ritz on Southey Green Road. 7d downstairs and 10d in the balcony.

On 12/24/2018 at 3:34 AM, desy said:

Mine was at the Oxford picture palace. Has anyone watched talking pictures on sky .they have started showing some of the old kids maternee pictures there was one on the other week about kids having cycle speedway teams on bombed out derelict land remembered that one. Streets nearly empty of cars except on the main roads.

I went there for the Saturday morning matinees, Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers I think were amongst the films.  Always ended on a cliff-hanger for the next week's episode. When the projector dimmed at the end of a reel, plunging the cinema into darkness, there would be a volley of ice cream cartons and such like from the back rows or balcony (I think there was a balcony) .

And don't forget the Unity just past the top of Wood St.  This cinema had bare plywood seats that were sprung-loaded and they made quite a racket when anyone stood up.

And going back further, there was The Weston on St Philips Road, a tiny cinema that one.

Saturday matinee at the Ritz, a blind man playing the accordion & ironlungs screaming down the mike...."lay that pistol down babe". Happy days.

I never knew there was one at the heeley palace which would have been convenient for me, instead I made the long trek to the Star on ecclesall road every Saturday.

15 minutes ago, sharrovian said:

I never knew there was one at the heeley palace which would have been convenient for me, instead I made the long trek to the Star on ecclesall road every Saturday.

Saturday at the Star was an early "interactive cinematic experience", way before its time, lol

Of course they called it noise and disruption in those days. We used to see how many times the poor manager would have to stop the film and come on stage and threaten to shut it down, if we didn't all quiet down.

Edited by trastrick

What  I remember at the Ritz is the Yoyo man on stage doing tricks with it, and smuggling in a pea shooter and dried peas for when the lights went down so we could shoot at the people in the front rows.

9 hours ago, Broakham said:

Strangely enough, we kids used to go to the Paragon, but if our parents took us it was always the Essoldo. :huh:

I can't remember the Paragon cinema although my Mum used to go there.  The only Paragon she took me to was the chip shop on Sicey Avenue.  Best chips ever

The Star Cinema on Ecclesall Rd. 5d downstairs , 7d upstairs. Had a shilling so would go downstairs and spend 7d on a choc ice and two packets of crisps with a blue salt twist. If any of this you understand , welcome to retirement club. also if you took an empty pop bottle or jam jar on some Saturdays you would get in free.   S H A Z A M

Hi.  I remember the paragon.  My late husband had a sat job as a "torchy" when he was about 14.  He thought he was very important at the time.  But in later years recalled he must have looked like Benny Hill!! Which was more likely. Happy days.