Sign in to follow this  

The bank house - hathersage

Just thought I'd flag up this place as somewhere nice to go, not too far out of Sheffield.  

The old building which was the bank in Hathersage is now a bar/restaurant with a nice continental feel to it.  It offers a very good range of wines/cocktails and other drinks, along with tapas and some larger plates.  It is beautifully renovated and furnished and attracts a smart crowd.

If that's your kind of thing then it's well worth a visit.  We haven't tried the food as only popped in for drinks, but there were some nice things on the menu and they've done a fabulous job with it.  It offers something a bit different to what you can get in Sheffield.

Edited by DerbyTup

It didn't get off to a good start hence a number of bad reviews . The first chef walked out after a weekend and the second only lasted a week . Seems to have picked up a bit now . My sister has been a couple of times for a drink ,would not eat there though as she thought the food nothing special

I’ve read mixed reviews on the food tbh.  It would be a pity if they can’t fix that because the place is fabulous in terms of ambience, range of drinks, etc.

On 12/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, lobster said:

It didn't get off to a good start hence a number of bad reviews . The first chef walked out after a weekend and the second only lasted a week . Seems to have picked up a bit now . My sister has been a couple of times for a drink ,would not eat there though as she thought the food nothing special

Hmm!  Not a great start then.  Let's hope they were just teething troubles and are sorted out now.

Re your sister's opinion...Do you mean she's tried the food and doesn't think it is any good, or has she just looked at the menu and decided it's not for her?  

I think the choice of food on the menu looks great personally!  That doesn't mean it's good of course.  But I'll let you know once I've tried it.

Meanwhile, there's a link to the website here if anyone wishes to find out more.

https://www.bankhousehathersage.co.uk/

She saw what some diners were having, her comment was " Sainsbury's Tapas "

Oh dear!  

I know that they offer tapas, but I’d hope it’s better than Sainsbury’s - otherwise might as well not bother!  

Tapas is not something I’d eat very often.  Having said that, the Bridge Inn at Calver have a whole menu based on tapas and I’ve really enjoyed that. But usually I am looking for something a bit more substantial.  I like the look of the large plates on the menu here.  

I will look into it further and report back.