What were your best memories of growing up in Sheffield?

Getting a new BMX bike for Christmas. Bright yellow mag wheels.

3 hours ago, mikeG said:

Remember the Raven well.  Lawrence Flood was the landlord 1961.  Daughter Janet.

some of the groups used to meet there saturday lunchtimes.

Zooming down the Donkey Hill in Firth Park. Either down the grass on a sheet of cardboard, or down the path sat on a Beano annual balanced on a roller skate. 😱

Please share with me some of your memories of Sheffield growing up. I was born in 1984 so some of mine are the ole in road haha. When you would go underground to where the news stands were. There were always people sleeping rough. The escalators all over Sheffield that went from the road level down. The fish tanks in the wall. 

The man painted on the side of the building on the road near the markets. I just tried to google that as I always wondered who he was. Why that was there. I couldn't find anything. So if anybody knows please  tell me. 

My dad taking my sister and I to Wimpy on a Saturday.  

Going to Meadowhall on the bendy buses before the trams and standing in the middle bit that bent.

Going to the chip shop on t'ramp before getting the bus home and my mum would buy me a bag of chips.

The cafe of the t'ramp called Minerva that my nan loved and my mum hated. As it was one of those places that had a sticky spoon in the sugar bowl haha.

Going to Presto's on t'ramp with my mum before getting on the bus home for shopping. 

The shop called Scoop on t'ramp. We would always go in. They sold dried foods etc. 

Going to C&A with my mum for clothes. Especially if we had a wedding to go to at the weekend. 

Getting my school uniforms from BHS.

Getting back to school stuff from WHSmith's or Woolworths. 

Always getting pic n mix from Woolworth's. Always putting in more than you actually paid for haha. 

Also getting your clothes from Woolworth's (The Ladybird Collection) haha. 

My mum taking us into the cafe in BHS. The one near Castle Market. It was downstairs and I just remember the amazing smell of food when you went down the escalator. It had brown tiles on the walls I remember that. For years the decor in there was the same until it closed I think. It never changed. 

Being forced to go in Castle Market with my mum. The market was not bad but it was the meat market bit as it stank. I hated it. 

Going to Sheaf Market with my dad to get the turkey on Christmas Eve. 

Getting new coats from Dunne's always.

Having your shoe fittings at Clarke's.  The getting new shoes from there. That always came in a snazzy box and the shoes were cool too. 

Or having your shoes fitted at Timpson's. 

The outdoor swimming pool at Millhouses. The rowing boats there. Paddling in the lake.  

The shops called Tate's Gallery. There was one in Sheffield and they sold all sorts of crap. 

Eating in Orchard Square food court. It always smelled like spices in there. It smelled so nice. 

Athena poster shops. What happened to them? 

The man outside Castle Market who used to sell Terry Towling tea towels and socks. What happened to him? my mum always bought the towels and sometimes socks from him haha. 

The spud man on The Moor. He is still there today and had been around in Sheffield since the mid 80's. 

The rows and rows of stalls on The Moor that used to sell leather goods. Jackets, coats, waistcoats, trousers, belts and bags etc. You don't see them anymore. We had a couple of good ones in Sheffield. 

Stolen From Ivor on The Moor I loved that shop. Most of my stuff as a teenager was bought from there. Fruit Of The Loom haha. 

The old HSBC Bank on High Street. I remember going in there all the time with my mum as a child. 

Going to The Sheffield Star office with my mum. So my mum could put an advert in there for something. Not phoning up or doing it online. Having to go there and do it in person. 

The bloody Egg Box as my mum used to call it at the bottom of The Moor. 

Going to the fair that came to Sheffield once on The Moor with my dad and going on the rides and being absolutely terrified. 

The original cobbles on the street on Paradise Square, Paradise Street that aren't anywhere else now in Sheffield. 

Going to the SYT place on the top of The Moor/ Fargate on the corner as you go up the street behind John Lewis to get your South Yorkshire Travel Pass. It's now a Jewellers I think. 

There are so many more so please share yours. I hope you've enjoyed mine? and it brought back nostalgia for you. :) :) :) :) 

Edited by TinStar
Spelling Errors, Paragraphing Error

Being able to play out on the street and not be to worried about the traffic. I was brought up in the 60s on a street that had about 100 houses with only 4 or 5 cars most others were the same.

Playing in Concord Park and Woolley Woods  ( Shiregreen )  for hours on end without a care in the world.

Guest makapaka
On 28/05/2019 at 19:01, TinStar said:

Please share with me some of your memories of Sheffield growing up. I was born in 1984 so some of mine are the ole in road haha. When you would go underground to where the news stands were. There were always people sleeping rough. The escalators all over Sheffield that went from the road level down. The fish tanks in the wall. 

The man painted on the side of the building on the road near the markets. I just tried to google that as I always wondered who he was. Why that was there. I couldn't find anything. So if anybody knows please  tell me. 

My dad taking my sister and I to Wimpy on a Saturday.  

Going to Meadowhall on the bendy buses before the trams and standing in the middle bit that bent.

Going to the chip shop on t'ramp before getting the bus home and my mum would buy me a bag of chips.

The cafe of the t'ramp called Minerva that my nan loved and my mum hated. As it was one of those places that had a sticky spoon in the sugar bowl haha.

Going to Presto's on t'ramp with my mum before getting on the bus home for shopping. 

The shop called Scoop on t'ramp. We would always go in. They sold dried foods etc. 

Going to C&A with my mum for clothes. Especially if we had a wedding to go to at the weekend. 

Getting my school uniforms from BHS.

Getting back to school stuff from WHSmith's or Woolworths. 

Always getting pic n mix from Woolworth's. Always putting in more than you actually paid for haha. 

Also getting your clothes from Woolworth's (The Ladybird Collection) haha. 

My mum taking us into the cafe in BHS. The one near Castle Market. It was downstairs and I just remember the amazing smell of food when you went down the escalator. It had brown tiles on the walls I remember that. For years the decor in there was the same until it closed I think. It never changed. 

Being forced to go in Castle Market with my mum. The market was not bad but it was the meat market bit as it stank. I hated it. 

Going to Sheaf Market with my dad to get the turkey on Christmas Eve. 

Getting new coats from Dunne's always.

Having your shoe fittings at Clarke's.  The getting new shoes from there. That always came in a snazzy box and the shoes were cool too. 

Or having your shoes fitted at Timpson's. 

The outdoor swimming pool at Millhouses. The rowing boats there. Paddling in the lake.  

The shops called Tate's Gallery. There was one in Sheffield and they sold all sorts of crap. 

Eating in Orchard Square food court. It always smelled like spices in there. It smelled so nice. 

Athena poster shops. What happened to them? 

The man outside Castle Market who used to sell Terry Towling tea towels and socks. What happened to him? my mum always bought the towels and sometimes socks from him haha. 

The spud man on The Moor. He is still there today and had been around in Sheffield since the mid 80's. 

The rows and rows of stalls on The Moor that used to sell leather goods. Jackets, coats, waistcoats, trousers, belts and bags etc. You don't see them anymore. We had a couple of good ones in Sheffield. 

Stolen From Ivor on The Moor I loved that shop. Most of my stuff as a teenager was bought from there. Fruit Of The Loom haha. 

The old HSBC Bank on High Street. I remember going in there all the time with my mum as a child. 

Going to The Sheffield Star office with my mum. So my mum could put an advert in there for something. Not phoning up or doing it online. Having to go there and do it in person. 

The bloody Egg Box as my mum used to call it at the bottom of The Moor. 

Going to the fair that came to Sheffield once on The Moor with my dad and going on the rides and being absolutely terrified. 

The original cobbles on the street on Paradise Square, Paradise Street that aren't anywhere else now in Sheffield. 

Going to the SYT place on the top of The Moor/ Fargate on the corner as you go up the street behind John Lewis to get your South Yorkshire Travel Pass. It's now a Jewellers I think. 

There are so many more so please share yours. I hope you've enjoyed mine? and it brought back nostalgia for you. :) :) :) :) 

Brilliant post - born in 1980 and we have similar memories.

the four restaurants on arundel gate one was “perfect pizza” with the sparklers in the ice creams.

the bus on our street went all the way to the door from wincobank and our mam and dad took us now and again on a Sunday and we loved it.