What social media do you use and what for?

I'm wondering what social media people of different ages and backgrounds use and what they use it for. I use Linkedin for business, Twitter and Facebook for connecting with friends and hobbies or possibly small businesses.

I know a lot of people under thirty five use Instagram and snap chat users tend to be slightly younger but also has a lot of users in their thirties. I'm asking this question as I'm trying to help the local charity; Sheffield cactus & succulent society. They / we are trying to reach new growers of cacti and succulents to let them know that the group is there if they would like to know more about their plants, would like some advice if their plants are unwell or would like to buy more unusual plants or swap them with fellow members of the group. The group is also open to children. I'm offering my time for free in trying to spread the word via social media. I had been put off joining the group for ages thinking it was for experts and show growers. Anyhow, I'm looking to see how I can connect with people to let them know the group is there. 

Any advice please? Thanks.

My own website, and facebook....and am in lots of different facebook groups....

Cant be doing with linkedin or twitter.... 

Try starting a facebook cactus appreciation society?

Edited by smithy266

49 minutes ago, smithy266 said:

My own website, and facebook....and am in lots of different facebook groups....

Cant be doing with linkedin or twitter.... 

Try starting a facebook cactus appreciation society?

There is already a group, its been going decades. I'm trying to raise awareness of the Sheffield branch. The British Society is updating the logo and website. I'm trying to help with social media for Sheffield. They have Twitter account @BCSS_Sheffield and a Sheffield branch Facebook page which isn't really used at the moment but the national Society is. I am hoping in the New Year to get the Facebook page for Sheffield interactive. I wondered if some other way was required to reach the younger audience. 

I'm of your age bracket but try to avoid all of them as far as possible as they're essentially just outlets for self-promoting narcissists.

18 hours ago, Chez2 said:

I'm wondering what social media people of different ages and backgrounds use and what they use it for. I use Linkedin for business, Twitter and Facebook for connecting with friends and hobbies or possibly small businesses.

I know a lot of people under thirty five use Instagram and snap chat users tend to be slightly younger but also has a lot of users in their thirties. I'm asking this question as I'm trying to help the local charity; Sheffield cactus & succulent society. They / we are trying to reach new growers of cacti and succulents to let them know that the group is there if they would like to know more about their plants, would like some advice if their plants are unwell or would like to buy more unusual plants or swap them with fellow members of the group. The group is also open to children. I'm offering my time for free in trying to spread the word via social media. I had been put off joining the group for ages thinking it was for experts and show growers. Anyhow, I'm looking to see how I can connect with people to let them know the group is there. 

Any advice please? Thanks.

I don't use social media at all like facebook, twitter etc. The one site I do use is Reddit. That's just because you can tailor it to your own preferences by subscribing to the subreddits you prefer. If you only subscribe to the reddits that you like that is all you will see on your home page. There are over a million subreddits.

So for cacti for example you could find a subreddit with 23000 subscribers that give advice and tips.

https://old.reddit.com/r/cactus/

For succulents you can find a subreddit with 167000 subscribers that give advice and tips. You can sort posts by new,rising, hot and top posts all at the navigation bar at the top. You can let them know about your group there.

https://old.reddit.com/r/succulents/new/

15 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'm of your age bracket but try to avoid all of them as far as possible as they're essentially just outlets for self-promoting narcissists.

By your reply you have been in different groups. I have met some lovely people using forums and Facebook groups. People who meet up in person to share their various hobbies, specific help and guidance, plant swaps etc. Its helpful and meaningful interactivity we are looking for not to be stuck on transmit. Thanks for your reply.

3 hours ago, XXTickerXX said:

I don't use social media at all like facebook, twitter etc. The one site I do use is Reddit. That's just because you can tailor it to your own preferences by subscribing to the subreddits you prefer. If you only subscribe to the reddits that you like that is all you will see on your home page. There are over a million subreddits.

So for cacti for example you could find a subreddit with 23000 subscribers that give advice and tips.

https://old.reddit.com/r/cactus/

For succulents you can find a subreddit with 167000 subscribers that give advice and tips. You can sort posts by new,rising, hot and top posts all at the navigation bar at the top. You can let them know about your group there.

https://old.reddit.com/r/succulents/new/

I don't understand Reddit; is this interactive? I didn't think it was. We are trying to create something to let people know about meetings and events, to  help each other rather than something like a blog that just gives information out. 

Twitter for sharing thoughts and build a work-related network. LinkedIn for career stuff, Reddit for fun and as a source of the latest news and developments. Youtube for video. Spotify for sharing music. And here for local.

do have a look at Reddit, very powerful once you ‘get it’, have a look at /r/casualuk -brilliant community.

3 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Twitter for sharing thoughts and build a work-related network. LinkedIn for career stuff, Reddit for fun and as a source of the latest news and developments. Youtube for video. Spotify for sharing music. And here for local.

do have a look at Reddit, very powerful once you ‘get it’, have a look at /r/casualuk -brilliant community.

Can you explain Reddit please? I really can't get my head around how you have a conversation on there that several people join in. The screens I've seen don't look 'nice' either. I only looked because for some reason the odd tweet we have put out has been retweeted or added to Reddit (don't ask, I have no idea, that the first time I had heard of it).

It is very similar to this, except that people can make their own ‘sub reddits’ or forums if you will. Reddit then creates a list of new posts based on all subreddits you are a part off.

so I get my basketball (Pacers) news there, my Dutch, German and EU news, I get jokes and cute cat pictures and so on. If I don’t like a subreddit anymore I can simply unfollow it.

try setting up an account and using an app like Narwhal or Apollo, it’ll make more sense then.

20 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

It is very similar to this, except that people can make their own ‘sub reddits’ or forums if you will. Reddit then creates a list of new posts based on all subreddits you are a part off.

so I get my basketball (Pacers) news there, my Dutch, German and EU news, I get jokes and cute cat pictures and so on. If I don’t like a subreddit anymore I can simply unfollow it.

try setting up an account and using an app like Narwhal or Apollo, it’ll make more sense then.

okay, thanks.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:02 AM, tzijlstra said:

Thanks for the recommendation. My first toe in the Reddit water.

6 hours ago, Dozer said:

Thanks for the recommendation. My first toe in the Reddit water.

It’ll get you hooked in no time :) make sure you seek out subreddits that appeal to you!