Is b band available without landline at a reduced rate.

I'm not the techie in our house, hubby has worked in the IT industry for years so I leave it to him. When superfast fibre was installed on our road we could only get the line from BT. I will ask him, give me a nudge if I forget.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

virgin don't only supply fibre, perhaps they're outside the fibre network and virgin were just an ISP providing bb over copper.

They do now, they ended their national service a few years back..

Update - hubby said he has moved us to Sky now. We only have fibre to the exchange box not to our house. The exchange we are on is some way away from our house (even though there is another box on our street).  

On 12/27/2018 at 3:32 PM, Ghozer said:

They do now, they ended their national service a few years back..

Seems to be correct, I hadn't realised they'd stopped being a regular old ISP generally.

So now I'm confused about what Chez2 said, did they previously have virgin, in which case it must have been fibre...

https://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker?refresh=true

Postcode checker there to see if virgin can supply you.  If they can then they definitely offer something faster than BT or Sky.

On 12/22/2018 at 2:06 PM, Janus said:

Is there a company that provides home broadband only?  I know that when I last checked that they always came together as a package.

Has the question been answered sufficiently well Janus?  If your true objective is cost reduction, then from my experience ADSL would be best (unless you have a TV service provider say who may be able to offer broadband cheaper).

For example:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband/#plusnetadsl

Plusnet - pay £198 over 12mth contract, get £75 cashback

Broadband and line rental: equiv £10.24/mth

7 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Seems to be correct, I hadn't realised they'd stopped being a regular old ISP generally.

So now I'm confused about what Chez2 said, did they previously have virgin, in which case it must have been fibre...

https://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker?refresh=true

Postcode checker there to see if virgin can supply you.  If they can then they definitely offer something faster than BT or Sky.

It wasn't cable if thats what you are thinking. We are talking dial up in the mid to late 1990s then in the year 2000 we moved here  to our current address.  Not so many years after we moved in they put something else in to put us on broadband. We have had several upgrades since, its a nightmare when they dig the road up because its only single track and we end up with the road closed for a week or two each time each utility digs it up. You couldn't make it up how close one utility digs it up, fills it in the next one comes and digs it up. I don't know why we have had so many upgrades but other areas still have better services. We really need a proper upgrade; the phone lines are still on poles and get pulled down with the trees when its windy.  We have two lines, business and private. Its fast enough for the Internet so that's all that matters to me.