Is b band available without landline at a reduced rate.

Is there a company that provides home broadband only?  I know that when I last checked that they always came together as a package.

Edited by Janus
Error

I know Sky do Internet but I don't know if you need a landline. Years ago they wanted you to be connected to a landline as we used to unplug ours and periodically they got in touch to say we weren't connected to a phone line. 

You will always need a landline unless you have a Virgin Media cable connection. Some companies may price it differently (ie the line rental is part of the overall cost or you don’t actually have a telephone service), but the land line connection is always required and leased from BT Wholesale (the is how the internet is fed to your household).

There are alternative expensive solutions available in certain parts of the U.K. or new residential complexes etc (independent fibre providers, satallite or 4G suppliers), but these are fairly restricted and non-standard.

12 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

I know Sky do Internet but I don't know if you need a landline. Years ago they wanted you to be connected to a landline as we used to unplug ours and periodically they got in touch to say we weren't connected to a phone line. 

This was a requirement for the tv service. It proved the satellite box and card were being used at the address being billed/seviced etc.

Edited by Happ

3 hours ago, Happ said:

You will always need a landline unless you have a Virgin Media cable connection. Some companies may price it differently (ie the line rental is part of the overall cost or you don’t actually have a telephone service), but the land line connection is always required and leased from BT Wholesale (the is how the internet is fed to your household).

There are alternative expensive solutions available in certain parts of the U.K. or new residential complexes etc (independent fibre providers, satallite or 4G suppliers), but these are fairly restricted and non-standard.

This was a requirement for the tv service. It proved the satellite box and card were being used at the address being billed/seviced etc.

I took it to mean without the phone package rather than without the line itself. 

4 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

I took it to mean without the phone package rather than without the line itself. 

The phone package usually comes free.

I know quite a few people who have an ISP phone line but don't even know their own number as they have never used it since mobile calls became free.

17 hours ago, Happ said:

Virgin charge more if you don't have a landline in the bundle though.

Don't just look at price Janus if speed is important. BT told us they could provide faster broadband than Virgin so we swapped. We had to keep nagging them until we ended up with the speed they promised us.  For our business we have a BT line  rental for the Internet but phones are O2 so we can divert the landline to  our mobiles if required. 

On 12/23/2018 at 12:12 PM, Chez2 said:

Don't just look at price Janus if speed is important. BT told us they could provide faster broadband than Virgin so we swapped. We had to keep nagging them until we ended up with the speed they promised us.  For our business we have a BT line  rental for the Internet but phones are O2 so we can divert the landline to  our mobiles if required. 

How? Virgin speeds are up to 350mpbs in my area. What are BT offering?

On 12/23/2018 at 12:12 PM, Chez2 said:

I doubt that, they cannot compare themselves to Virgin, totally different Tech for a start.....

NO BT Service ANYWHERE is anywhere near virgins top speed...

You could get a Three contract with unlimited data allowance, unlimited calls and texts for £27 P/M. That would give you unlimited tethering.

18 hours ago, kidneystone said:

You could get a Three contract with unlimited data allowance, unlimited calls and texts for £27 P/M. That would give you unlimited tethering.

Unlimited rarely actually means what it says though.

20 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I doubt that, they cannot compare themselves to Virgin, totally different Tech for a start.....

NO BT Service ANYWHERE is anywhere near virgins top speed...

Virgin don't only supply fibre, perhaps they're outside the fibre network and virgin were just an ISP providing bb over copper.