Should the former athol hotel building go for the retail quarter?

4 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Restore the ground floor frontage and the interior and I might agree with you but it ain't gonna happen. Tear it down and start again.

Have you seen the replacement building it's out off scale for the site and looks mismatched with Laycock House. Should we tear down the all the old buildings in that area like the old Citadel which is very derelict much worse than Athol is?

Get it knocked down and the one next to it (not Laycock House), it’s of no architectural merit whatsoever. 

They’re are lots of buildings in Sheffield that we do need to keep and restore, this isn’t one of them. 

1 hour ago, SheffBloke said:

Get it knocked down and the one next to it (not Laycock House), it’s of no architectural merit whatsoever. 

They’re are lots of buildings in Sheffield that we do need to keep and restore, this isn’t one of them. 

How do you decided what to keep and not to keep ? 

Park Hill flats are listed and are admired by some others hate them some seem them has an failed social housing project.

The Athol building is in an similar situation. What is proposed to replace it looks wrong if the building comes down then at least the replacement should blend in with Laycock House not distract from it. Another project that has been passed by the council is for an apartment block next to the Globe Works in the Kelhelm Island area the design for that is unremarkable an similar block is not far away despite advice from residents and Historic England who said the new development was out of character for the area but it was rubber stamped anyway the council have little time for historic buildings or they settings it seems. Going back to the retail quarter the Athol will add to the development like the other historic buildings that are been retained. 

8 hours ago, AntiBrexit said:

How do you decided what to keep and not to keep ? 

Park Hill flats are listed and are admired by some others hate them some seem them has an failed social housing project.

The Athol building is in an similar situation. What is proposed to replace it looks wrong if the building comes down then at least the replacement should blend in with Laycock House not distract from it. Another project that has been passed by the council is for an apartment block next to the Globe Works in the Kelhelm Island area the design for that is unremarkable an similar block is not far away despite advice from residents and Historic England who said the new development was out of character for the area but it was rubber stamped anyway the council have little time for historic buildings or they settings it seems. Going back to the retail quarter the Athol will add to the development like the other historic buildings that are been retained. 

I'll tell you how to decide what to keep and not to keep.  There has to be some architectural or historical significance to a building for a start. 

You cite the Park Hill Flats.  I think they are ugly and horrible and wouldn't have minded one bit if they'd been demolished.  But, I have to concede, that they are of architectural interest as they represent an important social housing project - a failed one obviously.  So I can understand why they were retained.  

The Athol has neither of these, so that's why some of us feel that there is no case to be made.  The counter arguments have been comprehensively made, but you are still banging on about it!  It's not happening mate...get over it!

By the way - I have noticed that you seem to struggle when to use "a" instead of "an" or understand the difference between, "There", "Their", "There" and even have difficulty with using the correct tense, "decide" and "decided".   Do you need some help with this?  Genuinely, I know people that may be able to help - and it would help you make your arguments more effectively.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I'll tell you how to decide what to keep and not to keep.  There has to be some architectural or historical significance to a building for a start. 

You cite the Park Hill Flats.  I think they are ugly and horrible and wouldn't have minded one bit if they'd been demolished.  But, I have to concede, that they are of architectural interest as they represent an important social housing project - a failed one obviously.  So I can understand why they were retained.  

The Athol has neither of these, so that's why some of us feel that there is no case to be made.  The counter arguments have been comprehensively made, but you are still banging on about it!  It's not happening mate...get over it!

By the way - I have noticed that you seem to struggle when to use "a" instead of "an" or understand the difference between, "There", "Their", "There" and even have difficulty with using the correct tense, "decide" and "decided".   Do you need some help with this?  Genuinely, I know people that may be able to help - and it would help you make your arguments more effectively.

Yes I do have problems with spelling and grammar but I don't belittle others for it nor does it mean I'm stupid. The point I'm making is we could be making an mistake by rash planning what looks good now in thirty years time may not if the Athol goes the replacement should blend in not drawf the neighboring buildings. 

When did it stop being a hotel? I seem to think it's private flats at the moment.

14 hours ago, Mister M said:

When did it stop being a hotel? I seem to think it's private flats at the moment.

The upper floor were student bedsits but are now not used. The ground floor is an shop unit which has been used for various businesses over the years. Athol seems to closed in the 1970s ' Sheffield History' forum has a few photos and information on the building.

On 12/25/2018 at 8:58 AM, AntiBrexit said:

Yes I do have problems with spelling and grammar but I don't belittle others for it nor does it mean I'm stupid. The point I'm making is we could be making an mistake by rash planning what looks good now in thirty years time may not if the Athol goes the replacement should blend in not drawf the neighboring buildings. 

Ah ok.  I thought you were just being sloppy and careless.  I'd get some help with that if I were you.  Hope the following may be helpful to you.

https://www.support4dyslexia.co.uk/