Should the former athol hotel building go for the retail quarter?

15 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Does it have any merit other than being old?

Does it any 'heritage' value? Don't think so. It's some mock Tudor cladding on a ratty old building.

If there was any commercial value in refurbishment and retaining the cladding, it would have been done already. As it is, it's an unsuitable space for either retail or residential use.

The Tudor Cladding was a refurbishment in its day, it's a space that can be used despite what you say.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, lazarus said:

The Athol could easily be used in the design without the need to demolish, it's always the easiest option that's chosen with this council and developers. All of the red brick building where  the pepper pot sits on Pinstone Street could and should be saved, it's far better than any improvement? that's planned. The horrible building at the bottom of Cambridge Street and the large pieces of stone just looks terrible.

It's also significant cheaper up to 90%  to knock down and rebuild and so is more cost effective. Would you rather it stood there empty and no one invest or get something that us going to be used

26 minutes ago, haddy said:

It's also significant cheaper up to 90%  to knock down and rebuild and so is more cost effective. Would you rather it stood there empty and no one invest or get something that us going to be used

IT only stood empty simply because of the threat of demolition and using that criteria should we have knocked down the Houses of Parliament etc.

I don't think the Athol hotel building has any historical or architectural importance.  Knock it down and build something better please.  And hurry up with that Brexit.

1 hour ago, haddy said:

Demolition costs are not that cheap retaining the Athol would be cheaper the ground floor is an good size for an independent retailer. 

48 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I don't think the Athol hotel building has any historical or architectural importance.  Knock it down and build something better please.  And hurry up with that Brexit.

8 minutes ago, AntiBrexit said:

Demolition costs are not that cheap retaining the Athol would be cheaper the ground floor is an good size for an independent retailer. 

Vandal! The Athol was one of the first buildings built on Pinstone Street in the present row has for building something better modern architects wouldn't know how. 

Edited by AntiBrexit

It was definitely a pub my mate's and I used it in 60s ,the beer was Newcastle Brown on draught,after a few of them you were on your way!.On the opposite side to John Lewis the building had revolving doors which didn't help when you've had a few!.

10 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Must agree with this. Strip away the mock Tudorbethan cladding and what have you got? Nothing. The interior disappeared years ago.

38 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Must agree with this. Strip away the mock Tudorbethan cladding and what have you got? Nothing. The interior disappeared years ago.

That's the beauty of this you can turn this building into anything you want . Let's say for example an mirco pub perhaps returning the name ' Athol ' this would give the new retail quarter an night economy the new development is mostly going to be shops that in an few years time could be empty with the rise of internet shopping.  It's very easy to dimiss this building but it is in an prime location for a leisure based unit. 

50 minutes ago, old tup said:

It was definitely a pub my mate's and I used it in 60s ,the beer was Newcastle Brown on draught,after a few of them you were on your way!.On the opposite side to John Lewis the building had revolving doors which didn't help when you've had a few!.

An revolving door I bet that was fun to watch at closing time.

Edited by AntiBrexit

8 minutes ago, AntiBrexit said:

That's the beauty of this you can turn this building into anything you want . Let's say for example an mirco pub perhaps returning the name ' Athol ' this would give the new retail quarter an night economy the new development is mostly going to be shops that in an few years time could be empty with the rise of internet shopping.  It's very easy to dimiss this building but it is in an prime location for a leisure based unit. 

Restore the ground floor frontage and the interior and I might agree with you but it ain't gonna happen. Tear it down and start again.

48 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Yes the pub closed in late 1965, don't think the interior has been used since.