Load brook

Years ago, perhaps 1960's I would see the odd Sheffield Transport buses with the destination being Load Brook. Isn't that some near deserted place beyond Loxley/Stannington and what was the attraction there in order to send buses, a summer thing perhaps ?

Load Brook is a small hamlet topside of Dungworth went to school with a boy from there Doug Lawson.

The No 117 Load Brook bus was a Saturdays-only service whose main purpose was to give local people a chance to do their shopping in town. There was also the more frequent 107 that served Dungworth. Here are the 1954 timetables.107-117.jpg

Another odd named area of Sheffield which no longer exists was Port Mahon. I believe it was in the Hillsborough area. I have postcards sent to my Dad and his brothers who lived above Grans shop there. Port Mahon is in Mallorca.

My grandmother came from Load Brook and lived most of her life at Woodland View near Malin Bridge. On Saturdays she would catch the Load Brook bus to see her family. I remember her telling me that there were never many on the bus - there must only have been a couple of dozen people living in the cottages at Load Brook and on surrounding farms.

28 minutes ago, inessex said:

Another odd named area of Sheffield which no longer exists was Port Mahon. I believe it was in the Hillsborough area. I have postcards sent to my Dad and his brothers who lived above Grans shop there. Port Mahon is in Mallorca.

Hi inessex - there is evidently a link between Port Mahon in Sheffield and the one you refer to (it is actually the capital of Menorca). Here is part of an article I wrote for a local history magazine:

The name Portmahon (or Port Mahon) does not appear on modern maps of Sheffield, and few people are familiar with it as a locality.  The name applied to a small area in the Netherthorpe district, behind the old Royal Infirmary near St Philip’s Road, and it can be found on older Sheffield street maps. Originally, Portmahon was the name of a short street which ran in a westward curve from the junction of St Philip’s Road and Upperthorpe Road.  It apparently acquired its unusual name in the 18th century, when on two occasions the British fleet captured the port of Mahón, the largest town on the island of Menorca.  The street was evidently first laid out during a wave of patriotism that swept the country after one of these naval victories.

Load Brook is indeed a small hamlet out in the sticks! The row of cottages (now one property) belonged to the small brickyard which was eventually owned by Wraggs before closing down in the early 60's when the tenants were relocated, a number of us to Stannington. Moving to Stannington was like moving to a town after Load Brook!

Once lived in Nethercliffe House near Hector Andrews farm at Hilltop in the 50s and remember using the infrequent bus service to Sheffield.

We had to walk to Stannington most of the time. Does anyone remember the Turkey Farm at Sykehouse Lane my Dad Frank used to work there just before Christmas as a plucker

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, hillsbro said:

inessex - there is evidently a link between Port Mahon in Sheffield and the one you refer to (it is actually the capital of Menorca). Here is part of an article I wrote for a local history magazine:

The name Portmahon (or Port Mahon) does not appear on modern maps of Sheffield, and few people are familiar with it as a locality.  The name applied to a small area in the Netherthorpe district, behind the old Royal Infirmary near St Philip’s Road, and it can be found on older Sheffield street maps. Originally, Portmahon was the name of a short street which ran in a westward curve from the junction of St Philip’s Road and Upperthorpe Road.  It apparently acquired its unusual name in the 18th century, when on two occasions the British fleet captured the port of Mahón, the largest town on the island of Menorca.  The street was evidently first laid out during a wave of patriotism that swept the country after one of these naval victories.

Yes Mr.H. In that Netherthorpe area you mention- on an old 1950's  O.S. map-  at the junction of St.Philips Road and Watery Street an establishment, the Port Mahon Rooms, whatever they were all about. ......Happy New Year to Mr. & Mrs. H.

Edited by St Petre
Add

Hi St Petre - New Year greetings returned! I hadn't heard of "Port Mahon Rooms" but an old map I have shows the "Portmahon Baptist Church" in that location, so there might be a connection. Although not marked on modern "A-Z" or "Geographia" street maps, I was surprised to find Port Mahon shown on a modern O.S. map.

2 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Hi St Petre - New Year greetings returned! I hadn't heard of "Port Mahon Rooms" but an old map I have shows the "Portmahon Baptist Church" in that location, so there might be a connection. Although not marked on modern "A-Z" or "Geographia" street maps, I was surprised to find Port Mahon shown on a modern O.S. map.

PORTMAHON 1879
(Upperthorpe Road )
3&5 Mona Loan and Investment Co; Messrs. Clague & Stembridge, managers
7 Atkinson Walter, chemist & druggist
9 Blackwell Chas. glass & china dlr
11 Radford John Thomas, porkbutcher
13 Fearnley Mrs. Sarah
21 Nixon George Hill, beerhouse
25 Green Thomas, butcher
27 Paramore Wm. Henry, hairdresser
31 Wilson William, boot & shoe mkr
(Watery Lane )

Hi retep - I think the properties shown in the directory would have been opposite the Port Mahon Baptist Church - this is marked on an 1850s map, with "Port Mahon" shown as a district name nearby - see here: https://i.postimg.cc/kDPgGrGY/001.jpg . In my experience Portmahon (as one word, meaning the street) is found in directories from the 1860s onwards, though the alphabetical section of a 1787 directory includes "William Hoyle, attorney, Port Mahon".

Edited by hillsbro