Drone at gatwick strands 350,000 people.

Vaati

Any further personal comments will result in accounts being suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I suspect the released couple's lawyers will be on to the Mail now for either an apology or compensation for putting a picture of them on the front cover and strongly hinting that they were responsible.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I suspect the released couple's lawyers will be on to the Mail now for either an apology or compensation for putting a picture of them on the front cover and strongly hinting that they were responsible.

I agree.  I stand to be corrected but I don't think any television news stations named the couple and it was only the newspapers ,who named the couple who have been released without charge and declared innocent by the police.

Surely not:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/possibility-there-was-no-drone-activity-detective-says_uk_5c1fc27fe4b0407e907c2cd7?utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage

Detectives hunting the Gatwick Airport drone operator are not ruling out the possibility that no drone activity took place.

Detective Chief Superintendent Jason Tingley added there was no available footage of the drones.

That would be somewhat embarrassing.

46 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Ummm, contagious hysteria one thinks?

If they really shut down Gatwick for that and there was nothing at all in the air then that would be utterly amazing. What were they things flying voer then - homing pigeons or somthing?

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

Ummm, contagious hysteria one thinks?

If they really shut down Gatwick for that and there was nothing at all in the air then that would be utterly amazing. What were they things flying voer then - homing pigeons or somthing?

Aye, it'd be nuts...

Gatwick 'no drone' police comment 'miscommunicated':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46670714

Edited by Magilla

<note to self, finish reading thread before commenting.>

Edited by Phanerothyme

Seeing the accused Crawley couple being interviewed on television outside their home, really putting on the tears.  Deserves an Oscar nomination for sure!!

Bit like some of your bloated moronic empty posts. its idiots like yourself who'd go out of their to put their windows out, simply because of what they read in the daily trash. Try to understand what it means to have your life trashed worldwide.

2 hours ago, Andbreathe said:

Bit like some of your bloated moronic empty posts. its idiots like yourself who'd go out of their to put their windows out, simply because of what they read in the daily trash. Try to understand what it means to have your life trashed worldwide.

Calm down, we haven't  got a Guildford  4 situation here.  An anti social neighbour who has a history of using the road out side of his house to race his radio control cars on a Sunday  before he started a new hobby of drone aeroplanes has spent a few hours in custody.  Surely it is standard police practice for the police to question the local village idiot after a bizarre local crime has been committed. 

This story is now starting to be forgotten from people's minds, but there are still lots of loose ends - nobody caught for it, reports of police drones in operation in the area at the time.   

Sussex Police Chief Constable Giles York said last week officers received 115 reports of sightings in the area, including 93 which have been confirmed as coming from "credible people" including a pilot and airport staff.

However some reports of drones in the area may have involved the police's own craft, he said, but added that he is "absolutely certain" a drone was flying near the airport's runways during the three-day period of disruption.

My other theory is that there is a company out there, that has developed a functional, reliable, drone interdiction system, and they urgently need some orders.

After all, anyone with a couple of grand and some time on their hands, could easily have mounted this mission.

If the police have recovered (one of) the drone(s), then it will be interesting to find out what lengths the perpetrator(s) took to make it as untraceable as possible.

It's entirely possible the whole thing was airgapped and flying short autonomous patterns, exchanging batteries at preset rendezvous.

If not, and it was under control using something like  Xbee, Synapse, wifi or even 4g, that might offer some leads. Some of the RF equipment may have forms of ID burned into the roms.

But if the perps have been really careful, I wouldn't expect a collar anytime soon, or ever.

The police actually have one of the drones??

Last I heard they'd found a couple of crashed drones but had decided they'd got nothing to do with the incident before Xmas.