Drone at gatwick strands 350,000 people.

Vaati

Any further personal comments will result in accounts being suspended.

Message added by Vaati

1 hour ago, Broakham said:

It was a comment on the OPs assertion of dereliction of duty by the government.  The security measures at a commercial airport are not the responsibility of either a Tory government or a Labour one. It was just another feeble attempt at petty political point-scoring.  

Ok, sorry,  I've re-read and get what you mean. The point of the thread was to blame 'the tories' , sounds similar to Rick in The Young Ones blaming Thatcher for everything.

It needs sorting as quick as possible,  and adding to the list of things that strange twisted people can do to disrupt the lives of everyday people.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do what Dutch do get freakin' eagles to take down these drones.

They've pretty much abandoned that because of the risk to the Eagles from rotor blades spinning at 5-10,000 rpm

This was a concerted effort to shut down the airport by people using custom built autonomous drones, not the commercially available camera drones offered by manufacturers like DJI and Parrot.

I would guess it was a trial run cum response test by a foreign power.

3 hours ago, Broakham said:

It was a comment on the OPs assertion of dereliction of duty by the government.  The security measures at a commercial airport are not the responsibility of either a Tory government or a Labour one. It was just another feeble attempt at petty political point-scoring.  

It is the responsibility of the government to make sure the law is obeyed.  Mainland security is the responsibility of the government.  They could bring it in under terrorist laws quickly enough if it suited them. The government can put legislation in place that the airports must obey, just like health and safety laws. 

They can also make sure all drones over a certain size / power, are licenced or at the very least registered. With their growing use there are going to be many problems ahead which will need to be addressed. They can start by knowing who has them. 

2 hours ago, stylefree said:

Hmmmm

Could it be the Russians?

Well we better not blast em out of the sky,otherwise Putin says hel launch nukes,he reckons were installing ballastic missiles with conventional warheads,but his software cant dtect the difference,so hel launch nukes as a 1st defence,worrying times cheers trump

8 hours ago, Phanerothyme said:

They've pretty much abandoned that because of the risk to the Eagles from rotor blades spinning at 5-10,000 rpm

This was a concerted effort to shut down the airport by people using custom built autonomous drones, not the commercially available camera drones offered by manufacturers like DJI and Parrot.

I would guess it was a trial run cum response test by a foreign power.

I take it that’s been reported somewhere (not seen it yet), and building those would  not be your Sunday D-I-Yer amateur hour kind of job: Amazon, DHL and others with large-scale delivery requirements and highly-resources, have been spending obscene amounts of money researching and engineering autonomous (delivery) drones in the past couple of years.

Makes sense as well, since a remote teleoperation could be tracked and maybe even shut down or hijacked by police/army forces on site.

I’m loathe to give in to conspiracy thoughts, but with Putin displeased at a lot of stuff atm, the Chinese yet again caught snooping online at U.K. (and other) government and EU cables, a power vacuum fast developing in the Middle East on the back of the US pullback, and lastly Mattis jacking it in...there are a lot of potential actors with a vested interest in making geopolitical statements, like severely disrupting an air travel hub (which, as statements go, is pretty benign, but no less significant).

It’s not as if Novichok didn’t happen.

Edited by L00b

It has been reported that a man and woman have been arrested over this. 

9 minutes ago, davyboy said:

It has been reported that a man and woman have been arrested over this. 

Strange that 2 people are involved?

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Not really. My question would be why? What were they hoping to achieve?

Given all the people who've been massively inconvenienced* I hope they're brought before a court and given an appropriately stiff sentence.

* I heard a woman on the radio yesterday, extremely distressed and upset having missed the funeral of a close friend in Cyprus. I'm sure there are many more tales of people who've had their plans ruined and incurred lots of extra expenditure.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

I think it was reported at one time that they believed that two drones were being flown.

It is also interesting that the last sighting of a drone was 'around' 10pm and that the arrests were "around' 10pm. Coincidence or good work by the authorities?

30 minutes ago, Broakham said:

I think it was reported at one time that they believed that two drones were being flown.

It is also interesting that the last sighting of a drone was 'around' 10pm and that the arrests were "around' 10pm. Coincidence or good work by the authorities?

it would have been the army that would have found them, and arrested by the police,

once the army was involved it was only a matter of time. Thank God

Just imagine next summer

Bored kids who live near airports setting drones off and bringing the entire country to a standstill

The authorities calling it a major terror incident caused by 3 spotty bored 14 year olds

And then giving them names like the Doncaster gang, or the Tamworth Two.