Pigeon racing

Remember Peter Gill very well,my Dad raced pigeons in Grimesthorpe.His loft was at the top of Hunsley St.Everyone knew him as Spike.We lived on hunsley st.

On 16/04/2019 at 06:41, Alexgeorge09 said:

My dad was Donald Hill, he raced pigeons too. Pete Gill was his mate. My sister bought Peters house when he moved from Torbay road. Dads coyt was on the hill as you went down towards the Bowling Green pub. He bought his newest coyt off Harry Atkinson, who dad worked for as a lorry driver on Brightside lane. I always remember the 'liberation trailer' parked in Harrys yard. Then the annual show at the club, just up from the bowling green.

Dad use to leave the keys for the coyt so me and my brother could 'liberate' the birds straight after school. 

3 lofts together back of school Don Hill Harry Atkinson and Jack old field mick greenwood was at top on margate next to John and Jimmy biggins Herbert rudge was between them. At end of Hunsley St 

On 30/10/2019 at 21:13, gaz 786 said:

3 lofts together back of school Don Hill Harry Atkinson and Jack old field mick greenwood was at top on margate next to John and Jimmy biggins Herbert rudge was between them. At end of Hunsley St 

On 30/10/2019 at 21:13, gaz 786 said:

My Dad was Spike Hepplestone cousin to Herbert Rudge they were partners,Can remember Pete Gill and the others.Also took pigeons to the railway station for them.

My dad flew pigeons  from grimesthope club for as long as I could remember, 1st at the bottom of Margate drive on the field behind bus stop. Don't no where it was from but he had a donkey which kept the grass down. He was then in a partnership with Ronnie biggins, they had lofts on his horse field where he had horses and greyhounds.he then had a loft on smiths field,near torbay rd,till we moved to whiteways rd when he had lofts at the back of the house.....he had loads of success when he had a loft at the side of house when he moved to Stanington village 90s.he was Mick greenwood

Edited by X5blushane
Missed name

1 hour ago, X5blushane said:

My dad flew pigeons  from grimesthope club for as long as I could remember, 1st at the bottom of Margate drive on the field behind bus stop. Don't no where it was from but he had a donkey which kept the grass down. He was then in a partnership with Ronnie biggins, they had lofts on his horse field where he had horses and greyhounds.he then had a loft on smiths field,near torbay rd,till we moved to whiteways rd when he had lofts at the back of the house.....he had loads of success when he had a loft at the side of house when he moved to Stanington village 90s.he was Mick greenwood

I knew mick and Linda very well from grimesthorpe you were only a baby Shane around 3 year old last time I saw you mick and Ronnie biggin had a right argument one Saturday afternoon and the partnership ended mick got arrested for claiming social security lol youncant makd it up it was a right farce can't put it on here though ūüėú

Wasn’t Steve Claypole in that society in the 80s

My uncle is Arnold Lockwood, apparently he was well known in Sheffield as a  pigeon racer in his day. Still keeps them now but hasn’t raced for years to my knowledge.