Would you say a sign saying 'girls toys' is inappropriate?

Vaati

The bickering can cease, otherwise accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

37 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Not quite.

Dont want to start you frothing at the mouth but the concept of Gender Neutral facilities has been around for a while.   There is even official gender neutral toilet symbol signage now.

In older buildings they are using disabled single room facilities to accomodate this.   In some of the newest buildings they are doing away with the concept of segregated toilets altogether and just installing banks of self contained cubical units with a loo, sink and dryers all in one and available to all genders.

Please tell me you are joking. 

7 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You can't think of ways that toys could be categorized to allow easy browsing other than by genitalia of children?

Or perhaps, it's because you're a bit old fashioned.

The basics are there are only two categories of children. These are;

A. A boy.

B. A girl.

That's about the easiest way to categorise toys that are suited to each of the above child types.

By the way, you don't have any children yourself, do you?

Otherwise you would come to understand that boys don't particularly like putting dresses on dolls. Forgive me if this is a particular fetish of your own.

Oh, and not old fashioned. I have a Boney M tape in the Land Rover.

6 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You can't think of ways that toys could be categorized to allow easy browsing other than by genitalia of children?

Or perhaps, it's because you're a bit old fashioned.

By age? But what if little Barnaby, aged 7, actually has the mental capacity of a 10yo? Or maybe he's a tad slower and the parent has to shop in the lower age range? But that would be '-ist' or phobic too.

Maybe i am old fashioned... but, you know what, stuff got done in the old days!

Previously, we sent people to space and to the moon. Now? We wouldn't even be able to get past how many toilets are needed on the rocket for each gender!

You think a radicalised religious nut cares about who they're fighting? Yet, soon, all our army will care about is that their feelings are being hurt because the commander didn't use the correct pronoun! We'll be doing the job of the enemy for them.

So, who cares if a supermarket categorises toys? There are bigger things to worry about.

1 minute ago, leviathan13 said:

By age? But what if little Barnaby, aged 7, actually has the mental capacity of a 10yo? Or maybe he's a tad slower and the parent has to shop in the lower age range? But that would be '-ist' or phobic too.

Maybe i am old fashioned... but, you know what, stuff got done in the old days!

Previously, we sent people to space and to the moon. Now? We wouldn't even be able to get past how many toilets are needed on the rocket for each gender!

You think a radicalised religious nut cares about who they're fighting? Yet, soon, all our army will care about is that their feelings are being hurt because the commander didn't use the correct pronoun! We'll be doing the job of the enemy for them.

So, who cares if a supermarket categorises toys? There are bigger things to worry about.

Just humour the idiot. It's all for response with this plum.

26 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

It's a sign... it points things out... it's not the law!!!

Ludicrous, i know, but some people might want to buy a girl a toy aimed at girls because the girl wants a toy that is likely to be in that section!

Sod it - we won't have a gluten or meat free section! Thos coelliacs and vegetarians can sort through the normal aisles to find their food.

If little Letitia, who used to be a boy but now identifies as a girl at the age of 5 wants a 'boys' toy, then buy them/they/zhe/zhi the boys toy. No one is physically stopping you and no one will snatch it off the child because they are the wrong gender/sex to be playing with it.

But some parents/families/friends still live a traditional life and treat others accordingly.

It's nothing to do with those things. I live a traditional two parent family, with a son and daughter. I, however don't want Tesco pointing my daughter to look at dolls and toy cookers instead of at Mechano.

Fish on the fish aisle, toys on the toy aisle. Easy.

If we'd asked for a thread to get a collection of elderly right wing people together we couldn't have done better than this.  And they think I'm the one who's out of touch.  Lol.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

It's nothing to do with those things. I live a traditional two parent family, with a son and daughter. I, however don't want Tesco pointing my daughter to look at dolls and toy cookers instead of at Mechano.

Fish on the fish aisle, toys on the toy aisle. Easy.

Who reads the sign - you or your daughter?

So adult toys should be included on the toy aisle?

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

If we'd asked for a thread to get a collection of elderly right wing people together we couldn't have done better than this.  And they think I'm the one who's out of touch.  Lol.

No... you're perfectly in-touch with the modern day, and that's the problem!

Throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Offence used to mean something! Now, it just means that someone who disagrees with you can use that as a way to shut down debate.

3 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Who reads the sign - you or your daughter?

So adult toys should be included on the toy aisle?

She can read, yes. Tescos don't sell adult toys, if they did that's obviously a different category.

Do you have kids? Do you want your daughter pushed into a route of what is for her, or would you prefer her to choose what she likes?

16 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Id find it very worrying to see a boy playing with a Barbie

Of course you would. You're yesterday's man. You're a throwback, a relic of the past. You run on red diesel, illegal fags and outrage that other people (especially brown people and people who are happier, more successful and sexually diverse than you) exist and have a happier life than you do.  You're lacking in empathy and short on humanity. I try to love you, but mostly pity you.

Who's offended Leviathan?  I'm not.
Honestly, you lot amuse me.

You're offended that someone thinks that toys should just be toys.  You think that there's some reason that boys shouldn't play with dolls and you try to justify it as somehow a way of categorising toys to make them easier to find in the supermarket.

You've even managed to bring "adult toys" into it, because Tesco's is well known for selling them...  Right...

This topic does go deeper than just signs. It's everywhere. Postperson, Firefighter, Mother Christmas... Ok, I made that one up.... Mansize Tissue is now called Personsize or whatever. There's loads of stuff. Some of it is correct of course. There are female fire staff, postwomen etc but the other stuff s just crackers. If you are buying a toy that's gender specific, then a boy's aisle or girls aisle is perfect. If you want to buy you daughter a gun set, look on the boys and vice versa. 

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

She can read, yes. Tescos don't sell adult toys, if they did that's obviously a different category.

Do you have kids? Do you want your daughter pushed into a route of what is for her, or would you prefer her to choose what she likes?

We sometimes disagree, but on this we're totally on the same page.

Dolls are not for girls, mechano is not for boys.  Let them play without imposing gender stereotypes on them.

1 minute ago, BrexitGuy said:

This topic does go deeper than just signs. It's everywhere. Postperson, Firefighter, Mother Christmas... Ok, I made that one up.... Mansize Tissue is now called Personsize or whatever. There's loads of stuff. Some of it is correct of course. There are female fire staff, postwomen etc but the other stuff s just crackers. If you are buying a toy that's gender specific, then a boy's aisle or girls aisle is perfect. If you want to buy you daughter a gun set, look on the boys and vice versa. 

What makes a toy gender specific?