Would you say a sign saying 'girls toys' is inappropriate?

Vaati

The bickering can cease, otherwise accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

4 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

Of course it's ridiculous. My grandson won a doll in a raffle at the Christmas fayre, and he was mortified. Boys are boys and girls are girls and they can play with what they want, but it's good to know that toys are separated.

what are action man toys but dolls with a macho image 

I generally strike back at pc type stuff. However, on this one, I think the sign is wrong. Girls and boys do gave a tendency to gravitate to certain things. However, I don't want a shop effectively saying to my daughter, those toys are for the boys, you pick some other stuff. Has she got to stay away from mechano and chemistry sets, and just pick from toy cookers etc?

8 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Thats a fair comment ... What next public conveniences men women and one in middle saying transexuals ...

Not quite.

Dont want to start you frothing at the mouth but the concept of Gender Neutral facilities has been around for a while.   There is even official gender neutral toilet symbol signage now.

In older buildings they are using disabled single room facilities to accomodate this.   In some of the newest buildings they are doing away with the concept of segregated toilets altogether and just installing banks of self contained cubical units with a loo, sink and dryers all in one and available to all genders.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, iansheff said:

Might seem a silly question to ask but apparently shoppers have accused Tesco of 'sexism' after spotting an aisle in an East Sussex store labelled for girls' toys. Where is the silliness going to end, all it is doing is pointing people to where the girls toys are located it is a guide to where they are that is all. One woman, a mum of three  girls said girls also like cars, dinosaurs and superheroes. Yes it does matter - it's the inherent sexism that girls and women face through their life. 'This is just for boys'."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girls-toys-sign-tesco-dividing-13758256

Yes, they're just toys, they're perfectly suitable for boys.

It's a sign... it points things out... it's not the law!!!

Ludicrous, i know, but some people might want to buy a girl a toy aimed at girls because the girl wants a toy that is likely to be in that section!

Sod it - we won't have a gluten or meat free section! Thos coelliacs and vegetarians can sort through the normal aisles to find their food.

If little Letitia, who used to be a boy but now identifies as a girl at the age of 5 wants a 'boys' toy, then buy them/they/zhe/zhi the boys toy. No one is physically stopping you and no one will snatch it off the child because they are the wrong gender/sex to be playing with it.

But some parents/families/friends still live a traditional life and treat others accordingly.

10 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

Of course it's ridiculous. My grandson won a doll in a raffle at the Christmas fayre, and he was mortified. Boys are boys and girls are girls and they can play with what they want, but it's good to know that toys are separated.

Is it?  Why.

Why do you think your grandson was mortified?  Probably because you spent the last few years teaching him that dolls are girls toys.

3 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

It's a sign... it points things out... it's not the law!!!

Ludicrous, i know, but some people might want to buy a girl a toy aimed at girls because the girl wants a toy that is likely to be in that section!

Sod it - we won't have a gluten or meat free section! Thos coelliacs and vegetarians can sort through the normal aisles to find their food.

If little Letitia, who used to be a boy but now identifies as a girl at the age of 5 wants a 'boys' toy, then buy them/they/zhe/zhi the boys toy. No one is physically stopping you and no one will snatch it off the child because they are the wrong gender/sex to be playing with it.

But some parents/families/friends still live a traditional life and treat others accordingly.

Some people might think that toys are just toys, not "aimed" at boys or girls, because, you know, just toys.

Is it traditional to dress boys in blue and tell them it's wrong to play with dolls?  I expect it is in your mind.

Edited by Cyclone

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Is it?  Why.

Why do you think your grandson was mortified?  Probably because you spent the last few years teaching him that dolls are girls toys.

Some people might think that toys are just toys, not "aimed" at boys or girls, because, you know, just toys.

Humans like categorisation. I'm glad HMV has a 'metal' section and i don't have to trawl through the boring mainstream sections to find what i'm looking for.

10 hours ago, Halibut said:

Of course he is, but you're missing the point by a country mile - men and women's bodies are different and are designed to reflect that.

Children's toys are toys, irrespective of who plays with them.

Id find it very worrying to see a boy playing with a Barbie

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Is it?  Why.

Naturally I expected nothing less. 

Could it be that he gets it from nursery? Or was it me?? 

I will leave that to you to decide.  You appear to know more than most.

Just now, Penistone999 said:

They do, and usually grow up to become Google hunters on SF.

I'm going to go with you.

Most nurseries these days are pretty with it and don't do gender stereotyping in the way that you seem to think is normal.

2 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Figures doesn't it.

You're okay with evading tax, buying dodgy cigs and funding terrorism, but a boy playing with a barbie doll, well that worries you.

Edited by Cyclone

Just now, Cyclone said:

I'm going to go with you.

Most nurseries these days are pretty with it and don't do gender stereotyping in the way that you seem to think is normal.

That's because your a bit odd.

3 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Humans like categorisation. I'm glad HMV has a 'metal' section and i don't have to trawl through the boring mainstream sections to find what i'm looking for.

You can't think of ways that toys could be categorized to allow easy browsing other than by genitalia of children?

Just now, BrexitGuy said:

That's because your a bit odd.

Or perhaps, it's because you're a bit old fashioned.