Would you say a sign saying 'girls toys' is inappropriate?

Vaati

The bickering can cease, otherwise accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Might seem a silly question to ask but apparently shoppers have accused Tesco of 'sexism' after spotting an aisle in an East Sussex store labelled for girls' toys. Where is the silliness going to end, all it is doing is pointing people to where the girls toys are located it is a guide to where they are that is all. One woman, a mum of three  girls said girls also like cars, dinosaurs and superheroes. Yes it does matter - it's the inherent sexism that girls and women face through their life. 'This is just for boys'."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girls-toys-sign-tesco-dividing-13758256

Would you say a sign saying 'girls toys' is inappropriate?

No.

Angel1.

24 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Might seem a silly question to ask but apparently shoppers have accused Tesco of 'sexism' after spotting an aisle in an East Sussex store labelled for girls' toys. Where is the silliness going to end, all it is doing is pointing people to where the girls toys are located it is a guide to where they are that is all. One woman, a mum of three  girls said girls also like cars, dinosaurs and superheroes. Yes it does matter - it's the inherent sexism that girls and women face through their life. 'This is just for boys'."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girls-toys-sign-tesco-dividing-13758256

'Toys' would have been better.

As Tesco said, it's been their policy for a few years.

try looking up "girls toys" on the internet for a whole new meaning.

I just Can't Help with thinking,  as I get Older of that old saying :

"The older you get the younger the Police seem to appear" 

Plus people these days seem to appear to be more intolerant of others, on their behalf (independent of whether they are bothered) , rude, selfish with self absorbed feelings, attitudes , less friendly, less courteous, less polite...less tolerant..impatient..

I blame Adverts, Advertisers... Lack of Good Role Models.

If you dislike someone's signage in a Shop, Elsewhere is available, including the "Net"

Edited by DeZeus
Added

4 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

doesn't it depend what the toys are?

No, not really. 

I don't see that there's any need to label toys anything other than just 'toys'. Let children decide what they're interested in without being dictated to. I'm also sure that parents will be able to pick out presents that their children will like without needing any such direction, unless they're particularly stupid.

On the other hand it's not something that's worth getting offended about. I'm sure toys were labelled as 'for girls' when I was a kid and it never stopped me (female) playing with dinosaurs and lego, I was never interested in anything girly!

Edited by vwkittie

How about a sign saying 'Ladies Underwear' in Marks & Spencers. Is a man not allowed to wear knickers and a bra if he wants?

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

How about a sign saying 'Ladies Underwear' in Marks & Spencers. Is a man not allowed to wear knickers and a bra if he wants?

Of course he is, but you're missing the point by a country mile - men and women's bodies are different and are designed to reflect that.

Children's toys are toys, irrespective of who plays with them.

Of course it's ridiculous. My grandson won a doll in a raffle at the Christmas fayre, and he was mortified. Boys are boys and girls are girls and they can play with what they want, but it's good to know that toys are separated.

20 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Of course he is, but you're missing the point by a country mile - men and women's bodies are different and are designed to reflect that.

Children's toys are toys, irrespective of who plays with them.

Are you claiming that a trans woman isn't a real woman? That's a bit transphobic, isn't it?