Would you say a sign saying 'girls toys' is inappropriate?

Vaati

The bickering can cease, otherwise accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Without sounding too harsh, I've never heard so much crap. Somebody somewhere has got far too much time on their hands to even suggest this hogwash. Of course kids are influenced with stuff, regardless of boys and girls sections of Tesco. You will always get the pillock with his quotes and stats but kids pick their own way as they develop. It's not us or Tesco's that mould them, it's life itself and anyone with kids will understand this.

9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

It's still an opinion. There are contradictory opinions. There's also the view that ill defined gender roles and expectations have led to an increased suicide rate among young males, as well as higher prevalence of mental illness. My opinion is that we could be damaging the majority to cater for a minority. 

And I'll ask again, do you actually have children?

Where are these contradictory opinions then?  Surely you don't mean your own?

You can keep asking, that's an attempt to discredit my opinion though by claiming special knowledge.  It's not a valid argument and I won't answer it.

8 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

The only way to let children have a fully uninfluenced view of the world would be to take them away from the parent and stick them on a secluded island.

Why did i watch The Holy Grail? Because it was recommended. In your world, it shouldn't have been recommended because i was being influenced by someone else and i should have found it out on my own. But what if i'd never found it?

Again - everyone; EVERYONE, is influenced constantly by daily life. How will a kid decide what they like if they don't experience things?

When your child was 1yo and you were in the car, and you decided to play music, did you consider the fact that you were influencing them? Did you give them the chance to decide what they wanted to listen to?

The reason I listen to the likes of 10cc and Billy Idol is because my dad played them to us. What you're suggesting is that i shouldn't have heard any music because i should choose what i want to listen to. But if no one plays me anything, how do i know what's out there?

You influence your children constantly, but apparently it's wrong if the rest of the world does.

How will your kid decide what they like if you refuse to let them experience things?

The point is to realise the influence that you have, and to realise the influence that is created by gender stereotyping.

You've just made up an entire strawman argument about children living "influence free", which nobody had mentioned or thought of.

7 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

Without sounding too harsh, I've never heard so much crap. Somebody somewhere has got far too much time on their hands to even suggest this hogwash. Of course kids are influenced with stuff, regardless of boys and girls sections of Tesco. You will always get the pillock with his quotes and stats but kids pick their own way as they develop. It's not us or Tesco's that mould them, it's life itself and anyone with kids will understand this.

Typical.  I suppose you've had enough of experts and their studies.  You'd rather make it up, like you just did.

Edited by Cyclone

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

You can keep asking, that's an attempt to discredit my opinion though by claiming special knowledge.  It's not a valid argument and I won't answer it.

I'm not doing you googling for you. Frankly, I don't have time, and clearly you have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Whether you have kids is a very valid argument. You're arguing about something you have no first hand experience of. I don't enforce gender expectations on to my children but from experience I can tell you boys and girls are very different. 

You're not going to attempt to prove your point.  Fair enough.  Presumably because you know you can't.

No, it's entirely irrelevant, just an attempt to shut down an argument you can't counter with any actual facts.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The point is to realise the influence that you have, and to realise the influence that is created by gender stereotyping.

You've just made up an entire strawman argument about children living "influence free", which nobody had mentioned or thought of.

Typical.  I suppose you've had enough of experts and their studies.  You'd rather make it up, like you just did.

Yep, that was obvious. And how many kids have you got? 

You don't have any, do you!!! 

Its a bit like me telling you all about Kung Foo, which I know nothing about, but will google it to make people think I do. You must realise what you come across as!!! 🏈👜

2 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

Yep, that was obvious. And how many kids have you got? 

You don't have any, do you!!! 

Its a bit like me telling you all about Kung Foo, which I know nothing about, but will google it to make people think I do. You must realise what you come across as!!! 🏈👜

How many kids he has or hasn't is utterly irrelevant - as you know. Lame, lame, lame.

Just now, Halibut said:

How many kids he has or hasn't is utterly irrelevant - as you know. Lame, lame, lame.

Of course it has. To comment on how to maintain a Rolls Royce when youve never actually owned one is on par with having the same thought process as a Halibut. 

Bit like answering someone elses post really🤔

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'm not doing you googling for you. Frankly, I don't have time, and clearly you have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Whether you have kids is a very valid argument. You're arguing about something you have no first hand experience of. I don't enforce gender expectations on to my children but from experience I can tell you boys and girls are very different. 

Well they shouldn't be - that is the point . 

With exception of the physical differences there is nothing else which should mandatory separate, segregate, categorise or stereotype the choices or actions girls and boys can make, do or enact.

Whether you are prepared to accept it or not, the clear fact is that by directly or indirectly defining and categorising items as 'girls' or 'boys' only you are creating default expectations and influences over a child's free choice.  That leads to stereotyping of what a girl or a boy should be allowed and inevitably creates adverse reactions and comment against those children who don't seeming comply with that 'default' image.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

With exception of the physical differences there is nothing else which should mandatory separate, segregate, categorise or stereotype the choices or actions girls and boys can make, do or enact.

Whether you are prepared to accept it or not, the clear fact is that by directly or indirectly defining and categorising items as 'girls' or 'boys' only you are e in creating default expectations and influences over a child's free choice.  That leads to stereotyping of what a girl or a boy should be allowed and for inevitably creates adverse reactions and comment against those children who don't seeming comply with that 'default' image.

What a load of old clackers!!! 

Default image my goodness!!!!! We are all influenced every day by everything. It's up to us whether or not we choose to comply with it.

Even you yourself now are being influenced by other clowns who post about children, to which they have no first hand experience of in the first place!!!

Google influences everything on here, constantly...... Yet not one post for calls to have Google sent to room 101.

I swear, this world has gone mad.......

I don't agree with 'boys toys, girls toys', toys are toys. Any child can play with any toy of their choosing. When I was young my dad made wooden Christmas toys at the 'Remploy'. At their Christmas party the girls were given a dolls bed, boys a fort. Being a girl I was given a bed, I was so upset, I wanted a fort. My dad managed to exchange it for me. I used to like to dress as a cowboy play boys games etc, boys stuff was more exciting. I also made clothes for my Tressy doll and knitted clothes for my other dolls. I did have a doll and pram. When I had children I let them choose what they wanted. My son (only 18months at the time) wanted a vacuum cleaner. My mom was disgusted. He had cars, toy guns but never wanted dolls. My daughter didn't like to wear skirts or dresses until she went to school, that was her choosing. Their uncle did an experiment one Christmas, he gave him a teddy bear and her a car, they swapped straight away. Nothing we have done has influenced how they have turned out, it has been their choice. My grandchildren have their own choices also. Children have their own minds we are only there as guidance.

I don't have first-hand experience about being stabbed in the head or being homeless on streets or driving intercity 125 - doesn't mean I can't comment on something.

Young children are far more influenced than a grown adult who has the ability to make up their mind with an informed choice.   This is a clear fact.   It's the reason why the advertising regulations are much stricter when involving children's products.  is the reason why most parents try their damned hardest to stop any of their own bad habits and controversial opinions being passed onto their children during the early years of their upbringing.

Surely you can see that anything that helps reduce the impressions and influencers put onto children is a good thing. We can start with small steps, you know, maybe by doing something simple like removing unnecessary categorisation of their toys. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Whether you are prepared to accept it or not, the clear fact is that by directly or indirectly defining and categorising items as 'girls' or 'boys' only you are creating default expectations and influences over a child's free choice.  That leads to stereotyping of what a girl or a boy should be allowed and inevitably creates adverse reactions and comment against those children who don't seeming comply with that 'default' image.

It goes beyond physical differences. Genetic hormonal differences have a much bigger impact on roles that girls and boys prefer than how Tesco labels its toys. 

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You're not going to attempt to prove your point.  Fair enough.  Presumably because you know you can't.

No, it's entirely irrelevant, just an attempt to shut down an argument you can't counter with any actual facts.

If you don't have kids you have no idea on raising them. No amount of your usual condescending, liberal drivel will change that.