America leads the way in pricing.

15 minutes ago, spilldig said:

It's not called rip-off Britain for nothing though. A few years ago when we were stateside one of our friends over there was moaning about the price of gas/petrol which worked out at just over 50p a gallon when it was five pounds a gallon here.

I could be wrong about some of the stuff I mentioned because as we all know, everything you hear is not true,  but I do notice when I watch TV or a film I notice a lot  of people do eat out and have food dlivered and not to mention the value for money side,  ie the size of Pizza and steaks ect.  I just get the feeling that people are treated fairly over there but here  their is a lack of respect for the consumer.   Utility companies are a perfect example.  Extortionate prices and CRAP service. :confused:

11 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

They dont do bad for holidays. I bet there is more comes over here than us lot going over there. :hihi:

There is no legal entitlement for employers to give ANY paid holiday in the US.   However, most employers give an average of 10 days per year, under half what we get in the UK.

7 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I could be wrong about some of the stuff I mentioned because as we all know, everything you hear is not true,  but I do notice when I watch TV or a film I notice a lot  of people do eat out and have food dlivered and not to mention the value for money side,  ie the size of Pizza and steaks ect.  I just get the feeling that people are treated fairly over there but here  their is a lack of respect for the consumer.   Utility companies are a perfect example.  Extortionate prices and CRAP service. :confused:

More than two thirds of American are obese. About a half have diet related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and certain cancers -  https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/introduction/nutrition-and-health-are-closely-related/

1 minute ago, Halibut said:

More than two thirds of American are obese. About a half have diet related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and certain cancers -  https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/introduction/nutrition-and-health-are-closely-related/

I watch a lot of the US tv channels directly here via my IPTV service.   As such, I get to see all the ads during commercial breaks that go to US viewers.  About 3 in 4 ads are for drugs and medicines, usually related to obesity and similar issues.     

However, in fairness, South Yorkshire has similar levels of obesity doesn't it?  Didn't I see recently that Barnsley and Rotherham are two of the three fattest towns in the UK this year?

We all know the health risk.  So the point is that you can die cheaper in America.  :gag:

The American pricing system where before tax prices are shown is much fairer and benefits the US  customer.

In the UK retailers sell their wares at prices designed to extract the maximum (fair enough) but they use the tax system to help them.

Children's clothing and shoes should not attract VAT. However its the size that is taxed. When do we see the 20% price hike as sizes increase? A smaller adult can avoid VAT while a larger child pays VAT.

How do companies get prices at £9.99 inc. VAT?  Is it not better to see the price of the good offered and then see the taxes added?

Welfare and healthcare are an American disgrace. Fifty States have Fifty One sets of rules on amount, eligibility and time for unemployment benefits which the poorest have least chance of getting.

Healthcare really is a zip code lottery with the range of treatment, quality of  treatment, extent of treatment, length of treatment and eligibility to treatment dependent on where you live, social status, work history  and how much you pay. The number of exclusions rises with age and social deprivation to the extent that you insurance might  cover one emergency treatment for one heart problem during your life.

A lot of heroin addiction in some areas in the US comes not from the recreational use of the drug but for pain relief.

People with little or poor health insurance will have pain relief covered but not further investigation  especially if that investigation is expensive. So people are sent away still ill with a prescription for pain relief. The illness gets worse then the money runs out from the insurance cover but you are still hurting. So you end up buying street fentanyl or heroin as it is much cheaper than prescription painkillers. Then you stay on that till you either die or can afford to pay for treatment which becomes less and less likely as your lifestyle becomes more chaotic.

You can keep your cheap pizzas and Levis,  I would much rather live in a society where people are treated with respect.

21 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Talking to an American fella at crystal peaks compairing the price difference on food and entertainment, cinema,  sports grounds admissions and fast food.  God we are getting well ripped in this country. Disgusting!  :rant:

A gallon of milk costs approximately $3.50, a loaf of bread is about $2.50, Rice is about $1 per pound, and eggs are about $2.00 per dozen.

I have lots of US friends, we're always comparing prices of things... however, while the cost may be more, the wages are also proportionally higher, from all the people I know in the US, probably the lowest earner is on over 32k/year

On 12/21/2018 at 10:06 AM, PRESLEY said:

You are so right. I don't want to get into a discussion about wether,such as , Mc Donalds is healthy or not, but we sometimes use places like Mc Donalds over there and when we order a coffee or a diet coke, or whatever you can just keep re-filling with as many as you want. Over here you can go in thirsty and hungry, get served your drink and it's gone by the time you start to eat so you have to pay a fortune for another to drink with your, so called meal, because it's about half the size you get there, so I would find that a bowl of Alpen and a couple of slices of toast for breakfast and a burger about 4pm would do me for the day. Here you would have to eat another meal.

21 hours ago, Ghozer said:

A gallon of milk costs approximately $3.50, a loaf of bread is about $2.50, Rice is about $1 per pound, and eggs are about $2.00 per dozen.

I have lots of US friends, we're always comparing prices of things... however, while the cost may be more, the wages are also proportionally higher, from all the people I know in the US, probably the lowest earner is on over 32k/year

a bit of an add on for the above.

C&P

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wage for workers in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2017 was $857 per week or $44,564 per year for a 40-hour workweek.

General Laborer in the United States
How much does a General Laborer earn hourly in the United States? The average hourly wage for a General Laborer in the United States is $15 as of December 01, 2018, but the range typically falls between $13 and $18. Hourly rate can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target.

Edited by kidley
added text

On 12/20/2018 at 5:41 PM, PRESLEY said:

Talking to an American fella at crystal peaks compairing the price difference on food and entertainment, cinema,  sports grounds admissions and fast food.  God we are getting well ripped in this country. Disgusting!  :rant:

Have you observed how the exchange rate changed after just over half the country voted to leave the EU?

That pushed up the price of US services and goods, and the exchange rate against other major countries went the same way, which pushed up the price against everything else.

Your US person was probably also ignoring sales tax, US prices are typically advertised without tax because it varies state to state, whereas in the UK advertised prices have to include VAT.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:26 PM, PRESLEY said:

With what they save on what I mentioned they can afford medical insurance.   And if out of work they can claim unemployment benifit and that would go further than ours.  :huh:

You literally have no idea how much medical insurance costs do you!

On 12/20/2018 at 10:30 PM, PRESLEY said:

They dont do bad for holidays. I bet there is more comes over here than us lot going over there. :hihi:

Typically they get 10 days paid leave a year, and the ambitious ones don't take it.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:10 PM, Ghozer said:

That's a very narrow selection of people though right.

I only know one person in the US (who's income I roughly know) and it's north of $200k.  That doesn't mean that the average is like that.  And the cost of living in Seattle is quite high as well.

20 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That's a very narrow selection of people though right.

I only know one person in the US (who's income I roughly know) and it's north of $200k.  That doesn't mean that the average is like that.  And the cost of living in Seattle is quite high as well.

Not really, I know a good 30 or 40 people, who I speak to regularly... 

few of them I have known for nearly 20 years...