How do you dry your your washing in winter if no tumble dryer.

On 20 December 2018 at 4:04 PM, Top Cats Hat said:

One of the few things that you can get for free that aren't knackered!

Am I the only one who still sticks their washing out on the line in the winter?*

(obviously not when it's raining! 😡)

My wife always puts washing on the line IF it's not raining, people seem to think you always need sun to dry washing, you don't ,a good wind or breeze does the job very nicely.

21 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Dryers at the launderette. 

They are like rocking horse whatsit now.

Maybe you woke up this morning and your dryer decided to be stupid.  Perhaps you usually hang your clothes outside to dry, but it’s raining cats and dogs.  Whatever the reason, sometimes you just have to line dry clothes indoors.  Assignment Help

Edited by denisbill

Question: "How do you dry your your washing in winter if no tumble dryer."

Answer: Get a tumble dryer.

Years ago we had a free-standing Service spin dryer, types like these can spin up to 3,000 rpm making the clothes almost dry enough to wear.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:54 PM, PRESLEY said:

The wooden racks you lower and raise from the ceiling on a pulley wouldd have come in handy.  You dont see them these days.

Not so.....I bought a set off e-bay a number of years ago,it included two end brackets,two pulley's and a long rope, i then bought four 6 foot lengths' of timber 45mmx20mm .I shaped the ends to fit inside the brackets leaving about 6-7 inches protruding out each side then smoothed and rounded the corners off the rest of the wood....I drilled holes for the two pulleys into the ceiling with two extra pieces of wood the other side of the plasterboard for extra support and screwed them in ( i live in a bungalow so it was quite easy to go into the loft space to do this),  fitted a bracket to the wall to tie the rope to when raised...job done.Just to add  i fitted this inside the Utiity room which also houses the washer, boiler, airing cupboard,sink unit,worksurface, etc and is quite warm inside especially when heating is on.....I must have fitted this 12 years or more ago and my wife uses it all the time thro' cold weather..they are still available on e-bay  £13.75 ....CEILING HANGING CLOTHES AIRER KIT CAST IRON ENDS ROPE KITCHEN LAUNDRY MAID DRYER....ITEM NUMBER..331939190300

the link is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CEILING-HANGING-CLOTHES-AIRER-KIT-CAST-IRON-ENDS-ROPE-KITCHEN-LAUNDRY-MAID-DRYER/331939190300?hash=item4d491e161c:g:fv8AAOSwjVVV15eK:rk:18:pf:0

On 12/20/2018 at 3:54 PM, PRESLEY said:

The wooden racks you lower and raise from the ceiling on a pulley wouldd have come in handy.  You dont see them these days.

They were often mounted on the kitchen ceiling so that all your clothes smelled of what had been cooked the day before.

I’ve never had a tumble dryer . If it’s towels or anything heavy I double spin. Then I put on an airer away from the radiator . The following day I finish them off on the radiator . I use a couple of those condensation trappers £1 from pound shops  to keep condensation down to a minimum .If it’s a dry day I will put outside but make sure everything is back indoors by 2 pm as the air gets damp .

On 12/20/2018 at 4:30 PM, Top Cats Hat said:

I have a Bosch washing machine with a mental spin cycle on it. That plus half an hour in the garden and they are almost dry. I stick things on the radiator to finish them off but there is so little water left in them it doesn't make the house damp.

Job done! 😉

You've touched on something there I think.  

We've also got a Bosch washing machine.  It's been used almost every day for about 15 years and there's 4 of us.  The only thing that has ever needed attention is the drain plug occasionally - and that's a 5 minute job that is easy enough to do.  It's been brilliant and is still going strong.

It has a very rapid spin cycle and the clothes don't need long outside on the rotary airer before they can be brought back in again. 

We also have a separate Bosch tumble dryer.  We rarely use the tumble dryer.  Exceptions are if the kids want their jeans, or a thick jumper,  drying  in a hurry,  ready to go out and the weather outside means we can't get them dry on the line.  So, it doesn't "run away with too much juice" because the quality of the washing machine means it's not needed most of the time. 

We still rely on radiators for drying off clothes in winter.  We had underfloor heating fitting in most of the downstairs rooms when we did an extension some years ago.  I'm glad we retained a couple of radiators downstairs, not because we need them for heating (underfloor heating is more than sufficient) but it is handy to have them for drying clothes on.

I've never noticed the condensation that the OP refers to, tbh.  We do have quite a big house though and it's maybe more of a problem in a smaller house.  

As a kid we had a very small 2 up 2 down terraced house, with no radiators,  (no central heating) and no washing machine even!  It was tub. posher, washboard and mangle in the back yard,  and a washing line that ran about 25 metres from the house to the back of a very long narrow garden.  In winter the clothes would be hung out on a wooden rack that came down from the ceiling on  a pulley - and we also had an indoor washing line in the kitchen where the heat from the Yorkshire range would dry the clothes.

I'm amazed how people are finding this an issue. I have a spare room where I hang all my drying clothes on a clothes horse.  If it is the winter and I can't use my washing line, bedsheets are hung over the stairs from up in the landing.

As long as you have enough undies and socks to last what's the problem ?

As for towels,  they dry anywhere that's the point. Their texture and surface area enables a quick transfer of moisture. This happens when you dry your skin and when they are hung up to dry.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:17 AM, Olive said:

We have friends who live in Sweden, and people over there all seem to have special built-in clothes drying cupboards.  They've got pull out racks, venting to the outside, and some kind of low-level air heating.  Takes up a bit of space, but works really well, and must use a lot less energy.  Not much chance of setting the house on fire either!  Funny how different countries have little, unique ways of doing things.  Remember when Kirsty Allsop caused a twitter-storm by saying washing machines had no place in the kitchen?  Apparently Americans can hardly comprehend that either.

I occasionally house sat here in Sheffield in the late 1960s/early 70s. They had this sort of set up. It was a built in metal cupboard, a bit like a large office cupboard, complete with heater at the bottom and a flue at the top to take the wet air away. Seemed to work well.

We use a tumble dryer when the weather is bad, but I’m a bit concerned at the damage we must be doing to the clothes, judging by the amount of lint caught in the filters.

17 minutes ago, Daven said:

They were often mounted on the kitchen ceiling so that all your clothes smelled of what had been cooked the day before.

Not if you hang them overnight and remove in morning

I have one and it is very useful in winter