How do you dry your your washing in winter if no tumble dryer.

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

As a kid we had a very small 2 up 2 down terraced house, with no radiators,  (no central heating) and no washing machine even!  It was tub. posher, washboard and mangle in the back yard,  and a washing line that ran about 25 metres from the house to the back of a very long narrow garden.  In winter the clothes would be hung out on a wooden rack that came down from the ceiling on  a pulley - and we also had an indoor washing line in the kitchen where the heat from the Yorkshire range would dry the clothes.

When first married ..1972..i bought a small terrace house with a back yard...no garden,outside loo,no central heating just a coal fire in the small kitchen,gas fire in room.We rented a twin tub washer from Wigfalls..12p a week... which my wife wheeled in and out of the pantry,clothes line outside in the yard or clothes horse in front of the fire...never had a tumble drier..ever...you were very lucky to have a garden that size..😉

2 hours ago, stylefree said:

Not if you hang them overnight and remove in morning

I have one and it is very useful in winter

I think the reply you quote was a bit of a snide remark..😉..my wife is using the one in the Utility room now,thro' the winter and rainy days in the summer too...😉

I did not intend it as snide remark

Just stating a fact

On 12/22/2018 at 10:20 AM, carosio said:

Years ago we had a free-standing Service spin dryer, types like these can spin up to 3,000 rpm making the clothes almost dry enough to wear.

My mother had one of them through the 70s & 80s 3000rpm as you say. 

The drum was mounted vertically which is probably  a key point at that speed due to the centrifugal force. I would imagine a free standing washing machine would be halfway across the kitchen floor at 3000rpm.

Probably ok for those people that like to sit on that sort of thing.

Edited by Janus

On an unexpected stopover with work, my hotel room had a microwave. Perfect for quickly drying sink-washed pants and socks!

On 20/12/2018 at 15:58, lil-minx92 said:

Is there a reason you dont just buy a tumble drier? People even give them away when they buy a combined washer dryer and want to free up some space

I use a tumble drier only when the radiators are full. What puts me off in particular is the amount of lint collected in the filter. The tumble drier must be damaging the clothes to produce that much lint

I have a heated airer that I bought from Lakeland years ago, it's really good in winter.   It gets hot but not too hot and doesn't cost much to run.  When I remember I also open the trickle vent to avoid condensation, but I have damp traps in every room anyway.