How do you dry your your washing in winter if no tumble dryer.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

One of the few things that you can get for free that aren't knackered!

Am I the only one who still sticks their washing out on the line in the winter?*

(obviously not when it's raining! 😡)

No, I do it too.  They smell fresher when I finish them off indoors then!

I believe that.

A few years ago on our quiet street a neighbour had a new fence erected- them slot in type panels that go in the channels of white fabricated concrete posts. I walked past and several of the panels had been lifted out and stolen.

Few things of this nature surprise me.

In winter, after the regular wash cycle, I give my washing an extra ten-minute spin before hanging it outside for the daylight hours. Then, on radiator racks and heated towel rails overnight and it's dry by morning. I just have to keep an eye on the weather forecast – the windier the better.

Presley: I'm fortunate in that Arnold Layne hasn't visited my garden yet.

Edited by horribleblob

15 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Is there a reason you dont just buy a tumble drier? People even give them away when they buy a combined washer dryer and want to free up some space

There is a reason! We have a broken tumble dryer, but can't get one the same size (with the same capacity) to fit in the area it needs to go in.

Also, the tumble dryer was quite harsh on the clothes, kept shrinking them etc. The clothes feel much better now.

16 hours ago, Janus said:

Always keen to hear ideas of what  others do.

Basically, radiators and clothes horse if not enough rad space.

I put small items on the rads but larger items on a clothes horse in the spare room with a dehumidifier next to it. Close the door and they dry in no time.

In the summer months I love to hang my washing on the line outside - watching it blowing in the breeze is very therapeutic.

Yes - I know I'm strange !

18 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Is there a reason you dont just buy a tumble drier? People even give them away when they buy a combined washer dryer and want to free up some space

I'm paranoid about them catching fire! Also don't like the way they make clothes feel.

I put mine on a clothes horse with the window cracked inside. 

But I'll put laundry outside all year round so long as it's not close to freezing and there's a bit of breeze, it will dry or at least mostly dry to finish off inside.

18 hours ago, choogling said:

Talking about spin driers, reminded me of a tip a got from a mate ,in the recent cold weather he runs the hot air hose into his bed for a few minutes says it warms the bed up in no time ,any one else got a tip for using appliances for other than  the design purpose.

Useful if I slept in the garage 😁

We have friends who live in Sweden, and people over there all seem to have special built-in clothes drying cupboards.  They've got pull out racks, venting to the outside, and some kind of low-level air heating.  Takes up a bit of space, but works really well, and must use a lot less energy.  Not much chance of setting the house on fire either!  Funny how different countries have little, unique ways of doing things.  Remember when Kirsty Allsop caused a twitter-storm by saying washing machines had no place in the kitchen?  Apparently Americans can hardly comprehend that either.