How do you dry your your washing in winter if no tumble dryer.

I think many will use the radiators, but then you get the damp & condensation in the house. Opening a window helps, but as the cold air comes in and the moist air goes out it leaves with the warmth of the room.

Through the winter I have for many years used a dehumidifier in the spare single sized bedroom. It works quite well, but to be economical it makes sense to do about 6 or 7 loads and hang the clothes up in that room on a large wooden clothes horse, and lightweight items from the curtain rail on hangers.

I have recently got a bit fed up of doing that many loads  and carrying them up the stairs, and hanging everything up-its an all day job.

I have this lean-to out building for storage purposes that I made about 11 years ago out of concrete blocks-(same size as breeze blocks). It is joined on to the side of the  garage-so one less wall was required, and is the same length-16ft. Being open at both ends  it gets a very good draft through it. It can be really heavy rain outside day or night and it’s not a problem.

I originally built it as a store place. Within this last week I decided to put a washing line end to end from between the joists  and it works quite well.  

Always keen to hear ideas of what  others do.

21 minutes ago, Janus said:

I think many will use the radiators, but then you get the damp & condensation in the house. Opening a window helps, but as the cold air comes in and the moist air goes out it leaves with the warmth of the room.

Through the winter I have for many years used a dehumidifier in the spare single sized bedroom. It works quite well, but to be economical it makes sense to do about 6 or 7 loads and hang the clothes up in that room on a large wooden clothes horse, and lightweight items from the curtain rail on hangers.

I have recently got a bit fed up of doing that many loads  and carrying them up the stairs, and hanging everything up-its an all day job.

I have this lean-to out building for storage purposes that I made about 11 years ago out of concrete blocks-(same size as breeze blocks). It is joined on to the side of the  garage-so one less wall was required, and is the same length-16ft. Being open at both ends  it gets a very good draft through it. It can be really heavy rain outside day or night and it’s not a problem.

I originally built it as a store place. Within this last week I decided to put a washing line end to end from between the joists  and it works quite well.  

Always keen to hear ideas of what  others do.

The wooden racks you lower and raise from the ceiling on a pulley wouldd have come in handy.  You dont see them these days.

Dont have a winter like you, but I use a dehumidifier all year round (it's humid) to dry clothes and it works great. I use a clothes horse with the dehumidifier positioned underneath. Dries clothes relatively quickly and they feel/smell fresh. 

Is there a reason you dont just buy a tumble drier? People even give them away when they buy a combined washer dryer and want to free up some space

2 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Is there a reason you dont just buy a tumble drier? People even give them away when they buy a combined washer dryer and want to free up some space

One of the few things that you can get for free that aren't knackered!

Am I the only one who still sticks their washing out on the line in the winter?*

(obviously not when it's raining! 😡)

Minx

I think it`s because   I`m old school (and tight). I understand they use a lot of juice. 

Edited by Janus

They don`t dry too well outdoors this weather TCH .

Sometimes I have put clothes on the line and if the rain catches me out I end up bringing them in wetter than  when I hung them out 😀

Talking about spin driers, reminded me of a tip a got from a mate ,in the recent cold weather he runs the hot air hose into his bed for a few minutes says it warms the bed up in no time ,any one else got a tip for using appliances for other than  the design purpose.

Edited by choogling

I have heard of men using  vacuum cleaner but cannot elaborate on here. 

I have seen people playing one of them wash boards or scrubbing boards. Younguns won`t know what they are. I`ll see if I can find summat onyou tube.

EDIT: Here your go...none of the  stuff that passes for muic these days LOL

we used to watch this sort of thing on the Hughie Green show-Opportunity Knocks it was called. None of this Simon Cowel malarkey.

😋

Edited by Janus
Washboard instrument

12 minutes ago, Janus said:

I have a Bosch washing machine with a mental spin cycle on it. That plus half an hour in the garden and they are almost dry. I stick things on the radiator to finish them off but there is so little water left in them it doesn't make the house damp.

Job done! 😉

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Sometimes I have put clothes on the line and if the rain catches me out I end up bringing them in wetter than  when I hung them out 😀

If it rains and you have  anything decent like a pair of levi's or a nice shirt hanging on the line  you need to fetch in, the rain doesnt get time to get them wet again the thieves around  our way will have already nicked em. :hihi:

Life is far too short to worry aboot drying washing. Stick it on the rads and forget it.

Angel1.