Hate campaign against a library

1 hour ago, lindylou53 said:

Most of these activities -  and others -  are already taking place at Stannington Library and are all well-organised and well-attended.  

Because a number of retired (take note) librarians took over.

29 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

Your point being?...

Retired professionals are taking the place of 'active' professionals at the expense of new and existing entrants into the library. Ie. Stannington is now relying on free labour. Ie. Slavery.

You do the sums love.

31 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Retired professionals are taking the place of 'active' professionals at the expense of new and existing entrants into the library. Ie. Stannington is now relying on free labour. Ie. Slavery.

Some of our finest U.K.  Library buildings were built off the back of the real slave trade.

I don't think the current batch of uk volunteers running the Libary have endured  the same as those sugar plantation slaves.

I'm sure they have freedom of choice, along with a form of personal income, something past and present Slavery does not afford those subjected to it.

39 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

You do the sums love.

Slavery "a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them"

These are volunteers, giving up their own time in order to benefit others. If it were not for these people the library would close and the village would lose a marvellous resource. 

These volunteers are in no way taking the places of people or taking the place of paid employment.

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

You do the sums love.

4 librarian's  salaries = £100'000 per year. quite a big saving!!

2 hours ago, zaci said:

The librarians jobs were going anyway and the libraries were  set to close. These volunteers work in the libraries of their own free will and in their own time to stop the libraries closing. What exactly is your point ?

Edited by Daven

13 hours ago, steve68 said:

Some of our finest U.K.  Library buildings were built off the back of the real slave trade.

I don't think the current batch of uk volunteers running the Libary have endured  the same as those sugar plantation slaves.

I'm sure they have freedom of choice, along with a form of personal income, something past and present Slavery does not afford those subjected to it.

Spot on, as volunteers we choose to give our time.  I know lots of volunteers in all sorts of roles. Our society would be much poorer without us, and its certainly much better for me than doing nothing and being bored.  It's very sad that some others can't appreciate the value of volunteers.

Whilst I can see why the mindless tearing down of posters might happen - terminally stupid people may not recognise the value of libraries. But who has the mindset to write to the paper and complain?

2 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Spot on, as volunteers we choose to give our time.  I know lots of volunteers in all sorts of roles. Our society would be much poorer without us, and its certainly much better for me than doing nothing and being bored.  It's very sad that some others can't appreciate the value of volunteers.

Whilst I can see why the mindless tearing down of posters might happen - terminally stupid people may not recognise the value of libraries. But who has the mindset to write to the paper and complain?

A bitter, twisted individual with too much time on his/her hands?!

I agree with Tzijlstra.

It’s true society would be poorer without volunteers. However, when you look at the use of unpaid workers now, it really does remove jobs for people who need paid employment.  Retired librarians doing a professional job unpaid are taking away the jobs of younger people who need them. Similarly in other professions. It is a hard choice to make as to whether not doing the volunteering might see the loss of a valuable service entirely, or the city might finally find the money to pay for a service.  There’s truth in the saying that people don’t value anything that is free.   If they are doing work that has never been a paid post, that is different.  But volunteers like this are the same as the so called 'graduate internships' which see young people working unpaid for 3-6 months and then replaced by more which all replace a paid full time person.  These retired volunteers are doing exactly the same. The main argument is that the council hasn't the money to pay for them so the posts wouldn't exist.  It just shows how little value people put on the library service.

I don't know who the volunteers of Stannington library are, but I want to say thank you.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:26 PM, zaci said:

Not sure where this figure came from. Stannington Library was, and is, open 20 1/2 hours a week and used to have 2 part-time members of staff present. The management was done by a full time professional who was responsible for several libraries in their group so, as an estimate, spent no more than 5 hours a week dedicated to Stannington Library.

If you want to know how I know, my partner was that professional and I was one of the team who was responsible for recruiting and training the volunteers.