A bat in our bedroom!

Any ideas how to catch a bat and expel it from our bedroom.

Had our velux's wide open last night with the warmth.

Just about dropping off, when we felt somewhere brush past us so turned the light on and saw a bat flying around in a figure of eight formation.

We waited and waited for it to fly out but it dissapeared somewhere not to be seen.

We know it didn't fly out cos we closed the windows and slept in another bedroom.

So tonights task - oust the BAT!

:help:

I would advise against trying to tackle it yourself, call in an expert, RSPCA for instance.

I say this cos you don't know what kind of Bat it is, it could be one that bites, so from a safety point of view it's best to get someone in who knows how to handle it.

I'm not 100% sure but i think you need a licence to handle bats, in any situation. You might be best trying to find a contact for your local bat group and see if someone can come and rescue it for you (once you've found the bat that is!)

get the blow torch out and fry it's ass

Just about dropping off, when we felt somewhere brush past us so turned the light on and saw a bat flying around in a figure of eight formation.

We waited and waited for it to fly out but it dissapeared somewhere not to be seen.

We know it didn't fly out cos we closed the windows and slept in another bedroom.

You would need to call the RSPCA I should think, as bats are protected (awaits the cricket, baseball, etc 'puns' ;) ).

oh man that is a cool situation serioulsy its like a mini adventure.

you probably shouldn't have closed the window - you don't want it dehydrating to death. they can carry rabies and other nasties so you definitely don't want to handle it, either - get the rspca in, but put a bowl of water down too, i imagine it'd be able to find it. i'd be tempted to leave the light on and the window open as it'll either find a way out to get away from the light, or it'll bring in some moths for it to catch and keep going on before the rspca come to the rescue.

good luck getting it out - let us know what happens.

bats are amazing little things, i miss living in the countryside, we hardly ever see them in walkley, although you can sometimes hear them.

Same thing happened to me when I still lived at home with my mum about 10 years ago. We were told by the RSPCA who to contact (local bat group) and they told us how to capture it safely, how to look after it until after dusk (they sleep in the day of course), what to provide for it to eat/drink if it wanted anything, and how & where to release it in the night.

I would give you the advice they gave me, but it may not be correct any more so I don't think that would be wise. So the first thing I'd advice you do is (as several others have also said) contact the RSPCA and ask what to do/if there is a bat group nearby.

FYI: We were told htat the bat had come in to te bathroom as they can sense/smell water and it would have just been thirsty, awww bless :D

Thanks for the advice.

We'll try and find it tonight and call the RSPCA tomorrow if so.

:thumbsup:

As babychickens says, I'd guess if you leave the window open it'll find its own way out. Leaving some water out for it sounds like good advice too.

Don't know whether it's up to date, but a quick google found this contact:

SHEFFIELD BAT GROUP

Derek Whiteley (Sec)

Ph: 0114 276 8588 / Fax: 0114 275 0957

RSPCA emergency line is 0870 5555 999, or local branch is 0114 2727542 (according to their web site).

Excellent, thanks!