Fao (careless) driver who hit my car - loxley road - 19/12/18 @ 5:00pm

On 12/20/2018 at 12:18 PM, tinfoilhat said:

This is something I've only ever heard in Sheffield, the whole "driver going up hill has right of way" thing. I'm not saying it's not in the highway code (I'd love a link if it's there) but how they get on in Norfolk? And what constitutes a hill?

I've not got as far as the other replies yet so hopefully someone has clarified it for you.  But when I was taught to drive I was taught that "uphill traffic has right of way" and I always drive to that even now.  It's a bit concerning that few people seem aware of it.  Maybe it's disappeared from the Highway Code, or people aren't being taught it?  Then again, it could be neither.

I went on a driving course last year and they asked the group a very simple question (imo).  What is the speed limit on the following types of road?

Normal road

Dual carriageway

Motorway

Out of 24 people in the room only 6 got the answers correct.

So it wouldn't surprise me that some motorists, perhaps even the majority of motorists,  don't know the most basic of rules.    

I regularly drive along Hillfoot Lane at Totley.  It's narrow, winding and steep in places.  There are one or two passing places, but generally it's common to find oneself having to pull right over into the verge or reverse to get past another vehicle coming the opposite way.  In this situation I am mindful that uphill traffic has right of way, however, if I am the uphill traffic and it's easier for me to stop and roll back a few metres to get into a wider spot then I'll happily do so.  So, it's not just about what's in the rule book, but it's about applying it with common sense.

As for the OP - I do feel a bit sorry for him/her as this kind of thing, where some ignorant driver bursts through a narrow gap and takes out a wing mirror, is very common.  It's bad form.  However, I also agree with others that the "Ultra-HD dash cam" that he speaks of, is a thing of his own fantasy.  But he could put one on his Christmas list to Santa now seeing as he's realised how handy it could be?

On 12/20/2018 at 3:59 PM, francypants said:

I cannot believe the number of people who say they have not heard or read about the  'Give way to uphill traffic rule '  It's not a Sheffield thing,

It's in the Highway Code and has been since I learnt to drive  35 years ago.

Oh I can believe it.  See my other thread.  Most folks don't even know what the speed limits are - never mind something so obscure as this.

It specifically applies to single track roads only.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I've not got as far as the other replies yet so hopefully someone has clarified it for you.  But when I was taught to drive I was taught that "uphill traffic has right of way" and I always drive to that even now.  It's a bit concerning that few people seem aware of it.  Maybe it's disappeared from the Highway Code, or people aren't being taught it?  Then again, it could be neither.

I went on a driving course last year and they asked the group a very simple question (imo).  What is the speed limit on the following types of road?

Normal road

Dual carriageway

Motorway

Out of 24 people in the room only 6 got the answers correct.

Presumably the correct answer is that it depends on what vehicle you're driving in all 3 cases.

If the question continued "in a car, not towing anything" and perhaps specified the presence or absence of speed limit signs and street lights, then it would be possible to answer.

Maybe though it meant the NSL on those types of road (for a none towing car)?  As it stands, it's a very badly worded question.

Edited by Cyclone

1 hour ago, francypants said:

Oh .......  Mr Cyclone, you do like to nit pick don't you !

Yes but he's correct.  For instance Penistone Rd dual carriageway has a 30 limit. Can anyone define "Normal Road"? 

They usually add national speed limit - or they did when i attended mine. But then again the people present weren't there for a fun day out it was because they didn't know the speed limits so obviously getting caught did them a favour.

i always give way to cars coming up the hill,take upper albert road at meersbrook,it clearly marked by SCC ,that thats the rule,also when its snowy or wet ect ,it makes sense.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It specifically applies to single track roads only.

Some people need rules, regulations and codes to help them think their way through complicated situations.  Irrespective of what the Highway Code says / used to say, common courtesy and a modicum of intelligence tells us to give way to the vehicle that would be most difficult to start moving again - uphill, largest, heaviest, least manoeuvrable etc, whatever the type of road.  It applies at sea for sail vs power (with certain easily-understood exceptions) and works very well there (although we don't go uphill all that often).

8 minutes ago, Crissie said:

(although we don't go uphill all that often).

You don't live in Sheffield then? 😉

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You don't live in Sheffield then? 😉

I don't go uphill at sea all that often!

1 hour ago, Crissie said:

Some people need rules, regulations and codes to help them think their way through complicated situations.  Irrespective of what the Highway Code says / used to say, common courtesy and a modicum of intelligence tells us to give way to the vehicle that would be most difficult to start moving again - uphill, largest, heaviest, least manoeuvrable etc, whatever the type of road.  It applies at sea for sail vs power (with certain easily-understood exceptions) and works very well there (although we don't go uphill all that often).

Most of the time in Sheffield it's car vs car coming up or down.  So generally the rule that would apply would be that the car with the restriction on it's side should cede priority.

If both cars have restrictions then it really depends on who can pull in safely.  It's all well and good saying "car coming up hill has priority", but that's little use if the car coming down has nowhere to go.  If you're car can't set off safely up a hill in Sheffield then there's something wrong with it and you should take it to a garage, so that entire argument isn't really relevant in these days, we're not driving Morris Minors.

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's all well and good saying "car coming up hill has priority", but that's little use if the car coming down has nowhere to go................. we're not driving Morris Minors.

The first time I ever drove over Hardknott pass in the Lakes was in a Mini (for those too young to remember them, the handbrake was, well put it like this, they were OK on the flat.)

When stopping, not only did you have to have somewhere to pull in, but had to allow for the car rolling forward or backwards while the other car passed! 😵