Different duck species  on sheffield canal.

I've been using the canal path for about 18 years and never seen ducks like these on there.  I first saw 2  about a week ago.  They were 4 or 5 between the Tinsley & Ferham section  today.

They are about the same size as the Mallards that are commonly seen. These have black heads, the bodies appear to be sort of cream or a bit lighter than a golden labradore. There seemed to be some black on the back of the body.

Not the best description, but they were in the water at the time.

I know there are some members on here with an  interest in ornithology. Anyone recognise these from my brief description?

A couple of years ago I saw a kingfisher on the canal from the tram!

18 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Goosander- fish eater. Present on the whole length of the Tinsley canal.

Correct! Can also be seen along the five weir path (in the Don). Lovely birds and once really under threat. Another treat is the flock of long-tailed tits, not as rare but still rather special little birds.

53 minutes ago, vwkittie said:

A couple of years ago I saw a kingfisher on the canal from the tram!

One of my grandchildren works for the Home Office just passed Lady's Brige & told me that, that stretch of The Don between them & the Harlequin pub on Nursery St, regularly has a Kingfisher & a Heron knocking about. 

Also he's never seen so many ducks as he's seen this year on the river. 

2 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Correct! Can also be seen along the five weir path (in the Don). Lovely birds and once really under threat. Another treat is the flock of long-tailed tits, not as rare but still rather special little birds.

We get long tailed tits in our garden sometimes in the winter, they are very cute!

There are often goosander in Hillsborough Park at this time of year - they're here this year!

I've recently seen manderin ducks on the river behind the broadfield estate, where the Hungry Horse pub and Broadfield Dentist is.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Baron99 said:

One of my grandchildren works for the Home Office just passed Lady's Brige & told me that, that stretch of The Don between them & the Harlequin pub on Nursery St, regularly has a Kingfisher & a Heron knocking about. 

If you visit that stretch of river in the Summer there's a good chance you'll also see Sand Martins.  Worth a second look as it's easy to assume they're Swallows if you aren't expecting them.  

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Baron99 said:

Friend of mine seen and photographed one near porter brook last month.

Edited by dutch