Grocery shops in the 1950s

Piersyes at the top of East Bank road just below the Garage ,Mr Piersey also delivered around the Arbourthorne and Gleadless in an old bus converted to a mobile shop.

On fairleigh we had Unwins,which later changed to Hunts. Further down the road there was a shop called Maypole and the co-op,not many people used the co-op because it was a bit more expensive. Across the road was a shop called Broughs that was a great shop they had butter and lard in big slabs on the counter. The biscuits were all loose in big square tins at the front of the counter. Health and hygiene was not a big issue in the fifties .

Remember when Fine Fare supermarket first opened on Netherthorpe. Cartridges, Bernads and  Alec Hanson's barbers. Denniffs butchers and firth chemists.  The washouse just up Daniel Hill behind the library.

Hey Abbeyedges.  Jacksons - Jim Jackson was my best man in 1973.  They had acouple of other shops. One accross the road from the Abbeydale Cinema and another at Walkley. For a while there was one on London road. Jim played in a band and they used to practice there. My Mom used to shop at Jessingers at Bradway.

On 24/12/2018 at 20:34, inessex said:

Hey Abbeyedges.  Jacksons - Jim Jackson was my best man in 1973.  They had acouple of other shops. One accross the road from the Abbeydale Cinema and another at Walkley. For a while there was one on London road. Jim played in a band and they used to practice there. My Mom used to shop at Jessingers at Bradway.

Hi Inessex. Yes I remember the one across the road from Abbeydale cinema. I think they may have bought a large wedding venue somewhere in Derbyshire.