Grocery shops in the 1950s

Can anyone remember Gallons, Shentalls and other grocery stores in the 1950s? Together with the Co-op there would sometimes be more than one on every shopping centre. My mums local one on Hatfield House Lane was Castledines.

Pegrams at Firth Park.

Shentalls in Frecheville if I remember correctly was next to Browns the butcher. I remember the butter being in wooden barrels but we could only afford margarine. 😦They let me have 2 bent strips of wood from a barrel which I though would make suitable skis when tied to my feet; they didn't work but it was fun trying. 😀

The co-op was at the other end of the Frecheville shops and was definitely out of our price range.

Shentall’s were a Chesterfield based company with many branches throughout the region.the had a large branch in Chesterfield Centre . They had a branch on Whitham Road in my home territory of Broomhill. Opposite was a branch of Gallons a small shop with a high counter behind which stood the managers Mr and Mrs Duggleby who delivered locally in a one ton Morris Commercial van. The windows were covered in whitewash writing proclaiming the offers.

on Glossop Road was a branch of Gowers the grocers who merged with Burgon and Son, who were adjacent to Parker’s Lane.

Don’t dismiss the cooperatives of Sheffield and Ecclesall with branch number seven on Glossop Road. Across the city reigned the Brightside and Carbrook  Cooperative Society.

In Broomhill we also had a branch  of the high quality grocer R. Orme managed by Ron Markin. Orme’s Were based in Bakewell with branches in Nether Edge, Totley and Matlock.

i also recall Meadow Dairy, Melias and Seymour Mead.

Edited by IRONMONGER

17 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Waterfalls in Wicker.

Got me thinking now, where in the Wicker was Waterfall's ?

AA Ward on Abbeydale Road opposite Edgedale Road.  My mother used to get her order delivered, and the grocery box was always packed beautifully!  Sugar in blue bags.............who remembers that?

6 hours ago, St Petre said:

Got me thinking now, where in the Wicker was Waterfall's ?

Where the chemist is now. There was a sarsaparilla shop next door to it and further up towards town was the Wilberforce. 

Melia's and the Meadow Dairy  in the Netherthorpe area.

Edited by jaffa1