Lewis hamilton came from the slums, apparently.

When you live in most exclusive area of Monaco and you think back about Stevenage it probably does seem like a slum!

20 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

What you say is correct. However Lewis Hamilton is most likely the  F1  World Champion with the poorest parents in comparison to the other F1 World Champions.  Lewis Hamilton has benefited from a Father, who wasn't a rich man but used his limited financial resources to fund his early Go Karting  adventures in Stevenage. The UK have had many World Champions in many different sports and I believe quite a few of these World Champions had a start in life which was the same as Lewis Hamilton, but I have haven't heard any previous UK World Champion describing their first years of life as a slum existence.  

I have no criticism at all of your comment, I am just adding to the discussion.

I hope that he's seen his dad right for the sacrifices he made to get him to F1 and  shut up about being poor, he wouldn't know what poor is.

Hes apologised for the comments, saying he used the wrong words...

"I definitely make mistakes quite often and particularly when you're up in front of a crowd trying to find the right words to express the long journey that you've had in life. I chose the wrong words.

"But I didn't mean anything by it and those of you who know me know that I always mean love so God bless you. Have a great day."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46610279

58 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

I hope that he's seen his dad right for the sacrifices he made to get him to F1 and  shut up about being poor, he wouldn't know what poor is.

I guess Lewis Hamilton has looked after his dad in financial terms. I also guess his dad was embarrassed by his son's comment at the awards event.

57 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Hes apologised for the comments, saying he used the wrong words...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46610279

He used the thoughts he had in his own mind.  The apology is meaningless.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, Halibut said:

I heard the leader of Stevenage Council on the radio talking about this. I'm going to adopt a charitable attitude and assume he didn't think it through. I'm sure a fulsome apology will go a fair way to put right the damage.

Is there anything you won't apologise for.

1 hour ago, mickey finn said:

Is there anything you won't apologise for.

That's what liberal people do.

On 18 December 2018 at 2:55 PM, Mister M said:

Especially if his tax affairs as revealed by the Paradise Papers are taken into account.,

I don't think his tax affairs are any worse than any other super rich person. What I do have an issue with is Hamilton disappearing off to Monaco as soon as he got his first multimillion pound deal with McLaren.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any British sports figure should be considered for Sports Personality of the Year if they reside outside the UK for tax purposes.

That aside, now Alonso has gone, he is the sole big personality left in Formula One and not only is he the best driver by quite a margin, but seems to be getting better each year.

47 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don't think his tax affairs are any worse than any other super rich person. What I do have an issue with is Hamilton disappearing off to Monaco as soon as he got his first multimillion pound deal with McLaren.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any British sports figure should be considered for Sports Personality of the Year if they reside outside the UK for tax purposes.

That aside, now Alonso has gone, he is the sole big personality left in Formula One and not only is he the best driver by quite a margin, but seems to be getting better each year.

A sensible post.

12 hours ago, pintor said:

Said for a while now, Hamilton is playing with formula1, hes the best out there, and they need him for the media attention alone, amongst other things. When he packs in there's no personality's left, he knows it and can command virtually what he wants, and they give it him, hes become  spoilt  and more interested in his music and celebrity  lifestyle 

He’s hardly playing at it. He’s won 4 of the last 5 world championships and is on course to break pretty much every record going. What he does when he is not at work is no ones concern if it is legal. 

I don’t get this obsession people have that they think people in the public eye, particularly sports people,  should only do the thing they do for a living and nothing else.

if it doesn’t affect their performance, and it clearly doesn’t in this case, and makes him happy, which clearly it does, then who cares.

most of the criticism is just jelousy.

1 hour ago, TheNugget said:

I don’t get this obsession people have that they think people in the public eye, particularly sports people,  should only do the thing they do for a living and nothing else.

if it doesn’t affect their performance, and it clearly doesn’t in this case, and makes him happy, which clearly it does, then who cares

Funnily enough, Nikki Lauda and Toto Wolf were dropping little hints last season that they were not exactly thrilled to bits with Hamilton jetting off to fashion events, celeb parties in LA etc. between races.

This season they had completely changed their minds and said that Hamilton was in a really good place mentally and far from distracting him these inter race jaunts were important for him to recharge his batteries and come back fresh for each race.

Even if Ferrari and Red Bull catch up with Mercedes next year, my money is still on Hamilton to win a sixth championship on driving skills alone. The last two seasons saw Vettel take a battering mentally and I think he's spent. It will be Hamilton vs Verstappen this season if Red Bull pull their finger out!

12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I like Hamilton and watching him race go carts when he was young you could tell he had a talent for racing.

But, throughout his F1 career he has had the best car 95% of the time, which has undeniably helped his winning run. I wonder how Lewiss would fare driving the Force India car or any other of the lesser performing teams?.

Angel1