Lewis hamilton came from the slums, apparently.

This made me laugh. 

At a ceremony, where Lewis Hamilton reecieved an award, he said to Gabby Logan:

It's been a really long journey, a dream for us all, as a family, to do something different, to get out of the slums.

Really Lewis, I thought you hailed from Steveage :hihi:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/formula1/lewis-hamilton-stevenage-comments-formula-1-star-under-fire-for-calling-hometown-the-slums/ar-BBR6cnv?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by Mister M

Hmmm... :huh:

... well Stevenage is north of London, so I suppose many down there would agree with him. :roll:

I heard the leader of Stevenage Council on the radio talking about this. I'm going to adopt a charitable attitude and assume he didn't think it through. I'm sure a fulsome apology will go a fair way to put right the damage.

22 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I heard the leader of Stevenage Council on the radio talking about this. I'm going to adopt a charitable attitude and assume he didn't think it through. I'm sure a fulsome apology will go a fair way to put right the damage.

Yes he probably didn't think before opening his mouth, but it reveals an unpleasant attitude. Especially if his tax affairs as revealed by the Paradise Papers are taken into account.,

Must've learnt his driving from all the taking and driving aways then lol

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Yes he probably didn't think before opening his mouth, but it reveals an unpleasant attitude. Especially if his tax affairs as revealed by the Paradise Papers are taken into account.,

I agree it is fair to say he has an unpleasant attitude which  is most likely a consequence of having been given too much money for driving a car.  The person he insulted the most was his father, who certainly wouldn't have considered he brought his son up in a slum. 

By contrast Billy Monger spoke very maturely when he accepted his award. Even Tyson Fury conducted himself very well at the awards event. Lewis Hamilton was an embarrassment.

Is there any F1 drivers that were poor and lived in a slum ? I think not.

That’s nothing. I’m Jenny from the block.

2 hours ago, lottiecass said:

Is there any F1 drivers that were poor and lived in a slum ? I think not.

What you say is correct. However Lewis Hamilton is most likely the  F1  World Champion with the poorest parents in comparison to the other F1 World Champions.  Lewis Hamilton has benefited from a Father, who wasn't a rich man but used his limited financial resources to fund his early Go Karting  adventures in Stevenage. The UK have had many World Champions in many different sports and I believe quite a few of these World Champions had a start in life which was the same as Lewis Hamilton, but I have haven't heard any previous UK World Champion describing their first years of life as a slum existence.  

I have no criticism at all of your comment, I am just adding to the discussion.

Edited by Lockdoctor

Now if he'd said dump rather than slum..............................................

Said for a while now, Hamilton is playing with formula1, hes the best out there, and they need him for the media attention alone, amongst other things. When he packs in there's no personality's left, he knows it and can command virtually what he wants, and they give it him, hes become  spoilt  and more interested in his music and celebrity  lifestyle