Racism within sheffield

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

No.

not unless someone tips up and starts saying they’re  offended by it.

Then our opinions differ.

12 hours ago, taxman said:

Judging by the swastika and C88 I've just observed drawn on the mirror In The Wellington on Henry St it appears rasicm is alive and well in Sheffield 

Could have been put there by anyone. If the far right didn't exist the far left would have to invent them.

Guest busdriver1
On 12/01/2019 at 12:22, WiseOwl182 said:

"Separate countries within Britain"? The separate countries are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, all of which are British.

I've explained before. Why would someone who is British, by an indisputable definition, want to refuse to accept being British whilst living in Britain alongside British people? It's dissocciative and divisive.

Whilst being pedantic you are over looking the FACT that they are countries and as such why  should a person NOT associate themselves with it? After all it ties them down to a particular part of the collective that is Britain. Are you a Yorkshireman? If so is that not just a furtherance of that? 

Or would you like us to be like the USA where there are very few people who are american but loads who are African/American, Polish/ American and so on? Just accept that there are a grat many who for no other reason than they feel more English than British describe themselves as such. 

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

Whilst being pedantic you are over looking the FACT that they are countries and as such why  should a person NOT associate themselves with it? After all it ties them down to a particular part of the collective that is Britain. Are you a Yorkshireman? If so is that not just a furtherance of that? 

Or would you like us to be like the USA where there are very few people who are american but loads who are African/American, Polish/ American and so on? Just accept that there are a grat many who for no other reason than they feel more English than British describe themselves as such. 

All of that is fine me, I'm talking about people from outside the UK a couple of generations or more ago, who deny being British (regardless not which part of Britain they're from) despite being born here and having parents from here.

On 12/01/2019 at 15:46, WiseOwl182 said:

If I move to France, I'm still British. If I had children there who then went on to have their own children too, they would be French. It would be strange if they denied being French.

If they also put British flags up in their bedroom windows, mixed almost exclusively with other British descendants and generally refused to adopt any aspects of French life they would likely be criticised by the exact same lefties who you are arguing with here.  

38 minutes ago, OneSon said:

If they also put British flags up in their bedroom windows, mixed almost exclusively with other British descendants and generally refused to adopt any aspects of French life they would likely be criticised by the exact same lefties who you are arguing with here.  

Indeed, and no doubt labelled "racist".

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Indeed, and no doubt labelled "racist".

Youre now making up imaginary arguments to support your personal opinion that someone not identifying as British is offensive.

we still don’t know why you are offended. 

If that person is not harming you -

why do you care? 

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Youre now making up imaginary arguments to support your personal opinion that someone not identifying as British is offensive.

why do you care? 

My Bold

The yorkshire ripper didnt harm me neither did fred west.

Edited by kidley

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

why do you care? 

If you invited someone round for dinner and they refused to eat your food, but instead sat their eating their own that they brought with them, would you be offended? If so, why? They're not harming you.

Guest makapaka
35 minutes ago, kidley said:

My Bold

The yorkshire ripper didnt harm me neither did fred west.

I don’t think serial killers are comparative in this discussion.

25 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

If you invited someone round for dinner and they refused to eat your food, but instead sat their eating their own that they brought with them, would you be offended? If so, why? They're not harming you.

I don’t think this is quite the same either.....

Maybe if you wanted to use this analogy you could say that your next door neighbours don’t like the same food as you and you were sat in your own house eating your own dinner and feeling offended by that fact.

Edited by makapaka

5 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Maybe if you wanted to use this analogy you could say that your next door neighbours don’t like the same food as you and you were sat in your own house eating your own dinner and feeling offended by that fact.

It wasn't an analogy. It was to illustrate how being offended and being harmed aren't the same thing.

Guest makapaka
Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

It wasn't an analogy. It was to illustrate how being offended and being harmed aren't the same thing.

Ok - I knew that anyway.

so why are you offended?