Racism within sheffield

13 hours ago, kidley said:

arnt you an inquisitive person Halibut, if a person disassociates him/herself  from his/her nationality its onley natural to wonder why. wouldnt you think  

If someone associates more strongly with the country their grandparents lived in than England, I just think 'fair enough'. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. As to the why, it's probably because they share a language, a faith, a skin colour, a food culture etc, etc - and that doesn't bother me in the slightest either.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Who said I'm "afraid"? You're putting words in my mouth there.

You hit the nail on the head with "decide". You can't just "decide" what nationality you are. If someone is born in Britain and especially if their parents were too, then they're British, by legal and logical definition.

Maybe decide was the wrong word - it was late.

If all you’re making is a point about what people should have put on their birth certificate at the town hall you may have a point.

the problem is you said you find it offensive  and have yet to properly explain why.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Or maybe they are just recognising the fact that there are separate countries within Britain and wish to identify with the particular one they are from? Not racist just being mega accurate. 

"Separate countries within Britain"? The separate countries are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, all of which are British.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Maybe decide was the wrong word - it was late.

If all you’re making is a point about what people should have put on their birth certificate at the town hall you may have a point.

the problem is you said you find it offensive  and have yet to properly explain why.

I've explained before. Why would someone who is British, by an indisputable definition, want to refuse to accept being British whilst living in Britain alongside British people? It's dissocciative and divisive.

42 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

"Separate countries within Britain"? The separate countries are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, all of which are British.

I've explained before. Why would someone who is British, by an indisputable definition, want to refuse to accept being British whilst living in Britain alongside British people? It's dissocciative and divisive.

See my post no. 158 further up this page. If somebody 'refuses to accept' being British simply by describing themselves as 'Asian' or 'Polish' sp what? It really doesn't matter - and how exactly it's 'dissociative and divisive' is beyond me.

Look at my mate Tomas for example, who would describe himself as Czech. He's lived over here 20 odd years, works here, pays tax here and is a thoroughly decent bloke. What the hell does it matter is he calls himself Czech rather than British?

Seriously, get a grip.

Edited by Halibut

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

If someone associates more strongly with the country their grandparents lived in than England, I just think 'fair enough'. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. As to the why, it's probably because they share a language, a faith, a skin colour, a food culture etc, etc - and that doesn't bother me in the slightest either.

It does rather undermine the argument put to "nationalists" about those born/living here of foreign heritage that Britain "is their country too".

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

See my post no. 158 further up this page. If somebody 'refuses to accept' being British simply by describing themselves as 'Asian' or 'Polish' sp what? It really doesn't matter - and how exactly it's 'dissociative and divisive' is beyond me.

Look at my mate Tomas for example, who would describe himself as Czech. He's lived over here 20 odd years, works here, pays tax here and is a thoroughly decent bloke. What the hell does it matter is he calls himself Czech rather than British?

Seriously, get a grip.

Lefties get their knickers in a twist when those in this country of foreign heritage are referred to as anything other than British.

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

Seriously, get a grip.

Was Tomas born in the UK? Were his parents born in the UK too? I'm not talking about people who move countries during their own lifetime, so don't confuse the two situations.

If I move to France, I'm still British. If I had children there who then went on to have their own children too, they would be French. It would be strange if they denied being French.

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Why is it divisive - because it offends you personally for reasons you can’t explain?

you’re making it into a divisive issue by taking offence unnecessarily.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Why is it divisive - because it offends you personally for reasons you can’t explain?

you’re making it into a divisive issue by taking offence unnecessarily.

Seriously, you can't see how it could be divisive to deny your (indisputable) nationality whilst living in that same country with the very people you refuse to share a national identity with?

7 hours ago, Halibut said:

Seriously, get a grip.

My Bold

If a person who is born in England of English parents who infers he is born elsewhere/ irrespective of whether you care or not/ how would you describe the person i have outlined Halibut ?   

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Seriously, you can't see how it could be divisive to deny your (indisputable) nationality whilst living in that same country with the very people you refuse to share a national identity with?

exactly

Judging by the swastika and C88 I've just observed drawn on the mirror In The Wellington on Henry St it appears rasicm is alive and well in Sheffield 

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No.

not unless someone tips up and starts saying they’re  offended by it.