Originally posted by starla

dont know why alot of people make such a fuss bout the manor. it did use to have a bad reputation.but its nothin like that anymore the area has been regenerated alot and is not actually a bad place to live.

Are we talking about the same Manor here, the manor estate, Sheffield, just up from the Parkway, Prince of Wales Road.

Our business has suffered tens of thousands of pounds of damage over the last couple of years. We are now doubling up on staff during out-of-school hours to try and restrict the amount of theft and vandalism we have. Customers are now in the minority in the late evening as they feel too intimidated to come anywhere near. Only a few weeks ago I had to assist a customer to stop his car being stolen by local youths... WHILE HE WAS STILL IN IT, in broad daylight.

We are not the only business like this... where else have you seen a beer-off done up like a prison, except the bars are to keep the criminals OUT and the staff safe INSIDE.

You can say it is only a minority that is like this. We have around 40 regulars who we would rather went elsewhere... that is a little more than a minority.

The popular one at the moment is to stick the button on the crossing up with chewy, then,when the cars are forced to stop at the red light, they are jumped on.

These are not one-off incidents, these are regular occurences, several times each week, if not each day.

i agree there is more trouble down that end but i dont live down there i live at the top end and it is fairly quiet up here. i kno the shop round the corner dfrom me has had some trouble but it is very rare recently that there is any kids outside that shop causin trouble. i have no problem walkin to the shop at nite on my own around this part.

the shops lower down the manor i cannot comment on as i do not go down there as i have no need to.

i was simply placing a comment about the bit on which i live on! x

We are not the only business like this... where else have you seen a beer-off done up like a prison, except the bars are to keep the criminals OUT and the staff safe INSIDE.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is what these poor unsuspecting people are going to be coming to when they buy a parklands house... Infact, they'll be more vulnerable if the women on there think they can carry a handbag in the street etc...

It's not getting better, its getting worse. The manor will always be the manor and I will always be well away from there!

Originally posted by Rich

But now it's just brought down by stupid little kids whose parents are unemployed and on the dole so they can't afford to teach their kids to behave any better.

Since when was teaching good behaviour dependent on money? If anything, being on the dole should give parents the chance to spend more time with their children and raise them better, though I suspect they'd be too busy watching Trisha and This Morning. It costs nothing to teach good behaviour.

When they did the slum clearance in the late 50s, every family had to undergo a humiliating "test" by the council inspectors to see if they were "suitable" for one of the new houses on Gleadless Valley or one of the other new estates.

If you were deemed "unsuitable" (in other words, too "dirty") then you were offered a house on the Manor instead.

Is it any wonder it become as bad as it did, when the flotsam and jetsam of Sheffield was moved there?

My gran lived on the manor many years ago and when we visited it was like entering another world.

Even as a kid, I could tell the place was well dodgy. Every second house seemed to have a cannibalised car up on bricks parked outside. The gardens were overgrown and snotty-nosed, undernourished kids and mangy dogs roamed the streets.

That was 30+ years ago. I haven't been back since, but I'd guess it's got a lot worse.

Originally posted by t020

Since when was teaching good behaviour dependent on money? If anything, being on the dole should give parents the chance to spend more time with their children and raise them better, though I suspect they'd be too busy watching Trisha and This Morning. It costs nothing to teach good behaviour.

Here Here.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Here Here.

Not only that, but Hear, Hear, as well! :)

:D Hehe. Yes that as well :blush:

My excuse is that its too early in the morning for my brain to function at its optimum.

well said t020 that is so true xx

but mojoworkin my kids are not snotty nosed undernourished kids and my garden is not overgrown with a car on bricks on it. not everyone is like that!

Or course not everyone is like that and I meant no offence to you personally. But the council's policy of moving problem families to the Manor has left a legacy that will last a long time.

I did some volunteer youth work on the manor over the half-term holiday and I know this gets thrown around a lot but there really is nothing for the kids to do so they find trouble. We had about 30 7-14 year olds coming every day and we had to turn half of them away becuse we didn't have the facilities. I hadn't been to the manor before, or heard anything about it so went in open minded.

Speaking to a lot of the kids, they're (mostly) well behaved and just want something to do. Lack of opportunity is a big contributing factor. Unfortunately the scheme who organised the youth work has run out of funding and has shut down, which is really disappointing.

I really enjoyed working up there and didn't feel vulnerable walking too and from bus stops. Maybe if I'd read this first I would have done..! Yes we had some trouble (mainly between kids) and yes they all used bad language but I gave them respect and got it straight back.

People need to be going into the area and helping not avoiding it at all costs!

Well if you ask me, people who do pull the Manor down all the time are best to keep away, you're not needed or wanted here.