Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Winter weather thread 2018/2019

Thoroughly disappointed this morning. Woken up at 1am and it was snowing heavily where I live (S26) 

Thought to myself that I could introduce my little one to snow now she's old enough to understand it. 

Get up this morning and naff all snow. 

3 hours ago, Resident said:

Thoroughly disappointed this morning. Woken up at 1am and it was snowing heavily where I live (S26) 

Thought to myself that I could introduce my little one to snow now she's old enough to understand it. 

Get up this morning and naff all snow. 

Tuesday is next best chance on higher ground according to Yorkshire Netweather forum

Canal is a bit frozen, wouldn't skate on it.

On 17/01/2019 at 10:52, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I agree! The last time we had a spell like this I had to defrost my thesaurus... :roll:

A bit rude to be patronising really when the post is of very good intention.

For those who are considered vulnerable, cold weather is not only dangerous, but life threatening!

As we get older, our bodies react differently to cold temperatures. As a result people are left susceptible to serious health problems!

Predominant in, but not exclusive to the elderly. Cold temperatures lead to a sudden increase in blood pressure, which in turn increases the risk of contracting the flu and/or other serious respiratory related problems. As cold temperatures also mean that blood pressure takes significantly longer to return towards normal values, the body as a whole is under huge strain and pressure. As a result there is a huge increase in the numbers of people suffering from heart attacks and strokes.

As Chazndave states, it is vital that we help those most at risk to keep warm in temperatures such as this. Supporting those most vulnerable without our community is hugely important and can honestly be the difference between life and death for some.

Cold weather can affect anyone, however you are considered most vulnerable if:

- You are aged 65 or over

- You are on a low income and struggle with heating costs

- You have a long term health condition

- You are disabled

- You are pregnant

- You have young children

- You have a mental health condition

A simple check in on vulnerable relatives and neighbours can really make a difference to somebodies life, it could even be the difference between life and death for some. By making sure they are safe and well, warm enough - especially at night and well stocked up on food and medicines, not only are you potentially saving a life, but you are also indirectly doing your bit in helping the NHS deal with the already huge winter pressures. 

If you are concerned about someone then you can always contact the local council or you can call the Age Uk helpline on 0800 678 1174.

Well all harp on about the distinct lack of community spirit within society these days, however we have all been guilty of turning our heads away from the struggles that go on around us from time to time.

What is 5 minutes out of our day to check on those around us??

We know from our own elderly relatives just how much of a struggle daily life can be. Weather such as this only further isolates, and it prevents vulnerable individuals from being able to complete normal daily tasks.

#makeadifference  

Travelled into Wakefield  this morning, snow all around and still falling, saw lights flahing on a lorry up ahead, gritter lorry perhaps?, accident?, no they were painting white lines in the middle of the road, couldn't  believe it!

Jogger, in a bit of a snow storm this afternoon, Chesterfield Road Dronfield.

Hooded hi-viz top, skinny leggings that they like to wear....and bare feet.

The mind boggles.

Coming down again in Walkley now.

Good news for a change is that this year Walkley Lane between Walkley and Hillsborough was gritted in time and has stayed ice and snow free, for the first ime in years it hasn't been clogged up with abandoned cars and hapless drivers having to walk home.

Mind you, there's time yet.