Winter weather thread 2018/2019

Hi,

Anywhere good for sledging today around Sheffield/ Chesterfield please?

Cheers.

Winter, what winter....unbelievable weather....what happened to February fill dyke..just wondering what the dams are like, are they full or not because we have had very little rain, I foresee a severe water shortage this summer.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Winter, what winter....unbelievable weather....what happened to February fill dyke..just wondering what the dams are like, are they full or not because we have had very little rain, I foresee a severe water shortage this summer.

I posted something back in December, that I'd been listening to the Paul Hudson Weather Show on Radio Sheffield & one of his regular contributors, a guy who looks at weather lore & previous weather records going back centuries, stated that we very rarely get 2 bad winters in a row & that this winter would be drier & milder than normal. So far he appears right. 

He also pointed out that 2018's hot, dry summer was very much like 1975 & that of course led to a mild winter in 1976 & the subsequent drought. 

On Paul Hudson's show this weekend, Radio Sheffield at 12pm Sunday, he'll be speaking with Yorkshire Water about the current state of the reservoirs. 

Just thought. I recall 2 really bad winters -  Mike & Bernie 😂

Edited by Baron99

Its February,  the weather"s gone mad, a fire is now raging across Saddleworth Moor..

Surely this is a first for this country, moorland fire in Feb...

Listened to the Paul Hudson Weather Show on Radio Sheffield last Sunday & according to to a bloke from Yorkshire Water & I suppose he's in the best place to know, the reservoirs around here are at least 90% full, yet I can't recall any significant, sustained periods of rain over the past few months. 

Got to love bbc weather 

Today

'Brisk winds today, taking the edge off the temperature. There will be a risk of showers, which could be heavy and even wintry to high ground but in between, there will be some sunny spells too."

Whatever does that mean it implies to me it will take the edge of mild temperatures yet in the same text it says snow showers likely!

1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

Got to love bbc weather 

Today

'Brisk winds today, taking the edge off the temperature. There will be a risk of showers, which could be heavy and even wintry to high ground but in between, there will be some sunny spells too."

Whatever does that mean it implies to me it will take the edge of mild temperatures yet in the same text it says snow showers likely!

Basically.... four seasons in one day ?

1 minute ago, darylslinn said:

Basically.... four seasons in one day ?

Ever heard of March Merry weather, or comes in like a lion, and go"s out like a lamb.

Ladybower is full to overflowing.

Derwent dam has water cascading down the dam wall as it is full.

Been over 7 inch of rain so far his march