Winter weather thread 2018/2019

Forecast says snow this weekend 15th December 2018. First forecast I've seen for it this year. Not sure I'm ready for it yet! Wonder if the white stuff will actually come and how much. 

the news website headlines seem to be for the start of a new ice age

however the met office forecast is for heavy rain late afternoon tomorrow onwards followed by not so heavy rain overnight into sunday

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

the news website headlines seem to be for the start of a new ice age

however the met office forecast is for heavy rain late afternoon tomorrow onwards followed by not so heavy rain overnight into sunday

Is that The Star by any chance? No fewer than 4 articles about some snow on higher ground a week before winter. What a rag!

3 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Is that The Star by any chance? No fewer than 4 articles about some snow on higher ground a week before winter. What a rag!

What about a month ago, it WAS cold and the Story was about a Sheffield road having snow covering.

True enough there was a picture with some snow on.

Location? Top of the bloody snake pass!

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/major-sheffield-road-left-blanketed-in-snow-as-temperatures-plummet-1-9453405

Edited by FORE
found link

Gritters out on roads.

As far as the latest weather reports go it says we're in the Amber warning zone for both snow and ice, with some of the higher parts of Sheffield possibly getting a few hours of heavy snow from noon but all of Sheffield highly likely to get rain/sleet that will turn to ice on pavements and roads. Surface temperature aren't going to rise above 0 degrees C until the evening and it'll feel like -5 or lower with the wind chill.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Quite surprised the likes of Asda, Tesco and the rest still have food on sale, when we get a forecast for bad weather like this weekend the sheeples usually empty the shelves. Maybe they have not heard the forecast yet.

Angel1.

My ears need defrosting this morning.

18 minutes ago, Padders said:

My ears need defrosting this morning.

Padders

I'd send you my blow lamp round but Ronson don't make gas any more for it!

So would be a waste of effort....

BBC, Weathercity and Accuweather sites all forecast rain or sleet, not snow.

Met Office

Broomhill (Crookesmoor)

From 2pm 60% chance of snow. **Now 80%

From 3pm 90%

From 5pm ≥95%

From 7pm*  rain with temperatures rising to 5 degrees by midnight.

As all UK weather forecasts are interpretations of various levels of Met Office or European data I would strongly suggest using their forecast.

Everybody knows that the weather expected at Lodge Moor and Meadowhall can be very different and so we use our local knowledge to modify what the BBC etc. weather is for the bit of Sheffield we live in. No free weather service can provide that level of detail or accuracy.

*With the temperatures around 0 and warm weather coming over the hills the forecast has changed in the last 10 minutes to rain here from 6pm. **And still changing.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
Data is continually being updated as I write

My dear mum would have said it is too cold for snow lol