V1 rocket over swallownest.

Aston History Group has a request for help from George Davis who saw a V1 rocket passing over Alexandra Road in Swallownest at about 9  pm on Dec 23 1944. It was accompanied by a RAF fighter presumably attempting to "tip" it off course. George is asking for any other witnesses and any other details please.

Edited by Meltman

Slightly off topic but are some of those large depressions in Greno Woods, bomb craters (or indeed V1 craters?)

17 hours ago, Meltman said:

Aston History Group has a request for help from George Davis who saw a V1 rocket passing over Alexandra Road in Swallownest at about 9  pm on Dec 23 1944. It was accompanied by a RAF fighter presumably attempting to "tip" it off course. George is asking for any other witnesses and any other details please.

I can't remember the exact details but I read of a V1 falling between Beighton and what is now Rother Valley Park. I think there may be a detailed account either on here or the Sheffield History forum.  Could it be the same one?  Have a look at this website-

https://www.chrishobbs.com/beightondoodlebug1944.htm.

Edited by Person6
extra info

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Slightly off topic but are some of those large depressions in Greno Woods, bomb craters (or indeed V1 craters?)

Bomb craters

I thought so as the don't seem to fit with the landscape

Would the V1 meantioned in the OP have been launched from an aircraft? December 1944 is very late in the war for ground launched V1s as most of the launch sites had been overrun by the allies by then..

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, Top Cats Hat said:

I thought so as the don't seem to fit with the landscape

Would the V1 meantioned in the OP have been launched from an aircraft? December 1944 is very late in the war for ground launched V1s as most of the launch sites had been overrun by the allies by then..

Yes, it was launched from an aircraft. There were others and I think the intended target was Manchester.  An account of the raid was published in a book but I can't remember the details.

On 12/14/2018 at 1:10 AM, Top Cats Hat said:

I think that was an urban myth, as there are similar depressions in ecclesall woods. These were made by charcoal burners for fuel used in the

steel industry.

Edited by melv

I have just checked this out and all the information is on Google so i you want to know check it out.

On 14/12/2018 at 14:27, Person6 said:

I can't remember the exact details but I read of a V1 falling between Beighton and what is now Rother Valley Park. I think there may be a detailed account either on here or the Sheffield History forum.  Could it be the same one?  Have a look at this website-

https://www.chrishobbs.com/beightondoodlebug1944.htm.

Many thanks Person6, that is the one I believe.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:15, Meltman said:

Many thanks Person6, that is the one I believe.

Pleasure.